Matilda

Follow inspiring projects as they develop then show them off !

Matilda

Postby Big Al » Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:12 pm

A new stablemate for Alfie & Dotty, a 1970 almond green Traveller.

Matilda.jpg

This is the best photo I can offer tonight as my laptop has blown up so I can't download any decent images onto my tablet.

She has Volvo front seats and a fact file going back to the early eighties. I picked her up through ESM who have been working on it for me since just before Christmas when Mickessex and I visited and found her under wraps in the corner of their yard. I have added heated rear windows, an alternator, tow bar and a banjo steering wheel, which I sourced from our very own MMO parts department (Cliff ;) ).

I will add more details tomorrow when I can sort out a few better photos and talk about some small changes she has had over her past.

She is named after my Nan, who was married to Alf, Alfie's namesake. She may be nicknamed Mattie, Maddie or Tillie, time will tell.
Big Al
Furry Feet

Awards: 9
Contributions 2011 (1) Contributions 2012 (1) Contributions 2013 (1) Contributions 2014 (1) Contributions 2015 (1)
Contributions 2016 (1) Contributions 2017 (1) MMO Annual Award Winner (1) MMO Top Tester (1)

England (en) UK Hertfordshire (.h)

Re: Matilda

Postby Plin » Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:12 pm

:D What an excellent stable mate! So who will get to be the main driver :?: and does poor Alfie feel his new partner will get all the limelight?!! (p.s. I like all your possible names but think I like Tillie best.)

Sorry to hear your laptop has been overworked and gone up in smoke :? hope you can fix it or source another one before too long without too much expense.
Plin

Contributions 2011 (1) Contributions 2012 (1) Contributions 2013 (1) Contributions 2014 (1) Contributions 2015 (1)
Contributions 2016 (1) Contributions 2017 (1) MMO Annual Award 2016 (1) MMO Top Tester (1)

Postby tickman » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:10 am

Another!
Looks very nice in that picture. As Plin says who's is it.
A heated rear window would be very nice especially in this weather.
tickman

Awards: 2
Contributions 2012 (1) Contributions 2013 (1)

Scotland (sf)

Postby Daddybear1984 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:02 am

Very nice and good mods too, will this be coming to patley bridge?

Scott
When you're in up over your head, the first thing to do is close your mouth.
Daddybear1984

Contributions 2014 (1) Contributions 2015 (1)

Postby ruairidh » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:00 am

Looks good nice car. :-)
Be all you can be
ruairidh

Scotland (sf) UK Northern Ireland (ek)

Postby Big Al » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:26 am

Matilda is all mine... :D

Thanks for the nice comments, she's a really nice car.

The intention is to have her as my main car, Bumble the Freelander will have to go. I just don't do the mileage to justify keeping him, less than 5000 miles a year. Alfie will continue to be my project car.

When I first saw her she had been sitting in ESM's yard for about 3 months having been collected them a family who asked them to sell it them. I had visited ESM to look at another one that had a long list of mods and upgrades including Newton Commercial seats, disc brakes, front & rear shocks etc. The thing was I didn't find the seats right for me and the body looked like it would need a full restro within a year or so. The wood also had some small repairs that looked less than right.

I asked to see other Travellers they had and in passing I was told about Matilda. What I saw was an unprepared car that needed some TLC. I couldn't believe how comfy the seats were and the wood looked in very good order. That may have been because the last owner was a carpenter and had made his own replacement parts. All in all she looked a very honest car.

I agreed terms with Steve at ESM and a month of TLC was poured onto her by the guys down there. Much of what they did could have been brushed over or left for me to find in a years time. They did a great job.

Here's a photo I took when I gave it a test drive into Burwash last week:

Burwash.jpg

One mod that was done to her by a previous owner was to lower the rear boot well by about 2". When it stops raining here I'll show some photos but it gives a little more room. The spare wheel still fits under but is accessed via a raising floor. Another mod, which I will change, is a pair of trailer brake lights fitted in the rear window. I like the idea of a raised set but these elluminate the whole inside when I brake! :shock: Having known this when I first saw it I had planned to replace them with LED lights. I chuckled when I saw the same thing done on here afterwards. This I will do once I design a non reflective housing for them.

It was after my test drive last week I realised the rear windows would need doing. Whilst they did that I asked them to fit the alternator I had for it and the banjo wheel I had acquired from Cliff.

As for the tow bar, that's for towing my trailer tent to Pateley Bridge... :D 8)
Big Al
Furry Feet

Contributions 2016 (1) Contributions 2017 (1) MMO Annual Award Winner (1) MMO Top Tester (1)

Postby tickman » Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:47 pm

Big Al wrote:When it stops raining here I'll show some photos

Look forward to them in May then :?

She looks very straight, I hope the passenger side is as good!

I do hope the plans are, Drive, clean and maintain.
tickman

Scotland (sf)

Postby Big Al » Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:36 pm

tickman wrote:
Big Al wrote:When it stops raining here I'll show some photos

Look forward to them in May then :?

She looks very straight, I hope the passenger side is as good!

I do hope the plans are, Drive, clean and maintain.

She's very much a drive, clean, dry and learn maintainance sort of car... :D

Here's one of the nearside whilst in Burwash:

Burwash 2.jpg

Seems May has arrived early, it's stopped raining for a second or two. :D

Dash:

M1 dashboard.jpg

The Volvo 343 seats. Very comfy as long as I don't have a passenger behind me. ;)

M2 seats.jpg

The lowered rear section with seats down flat. The space this gives in the cabin is open to debate but with the lift out floor there is still plenty of usable space to store tools etc. I will add a hinge and some hidden slip bolts so it doesn't bounce out whilst going over speed bumps or into pot holes... :roll:

M3 boot well open.jpg

The rear carpet is just standard car stuff you get. The normal Traveller carpet set wouldn't cover the wheel arches enough if used. The front glove compartments have been fitted with the same to a good standard, much better than the normal moldy card finish.

As I get to look around I'll find bits and bobs I'll adjust or improve on.

Plin wrote::D What an excellent stable mate! So who will get to be the main driver :?: and does poor Alfie feel his new partner will get all the limelight?!! (p.s. I like all your possible names but think I like Tillie best.)

Sorry to hear your laptop has been overworked and gone up in smoke :? hope you can fix it or source another one before too long without too much expense.

Tillie is one of my favourites too.

My laptop is being collected today to go back to Acer. They have agreed to fix it for free although it is one month beyond their warranty. I've dug out my old xp notebook which allows me a little photo editing, I just need time, lots of time... :roll:
Big Al
Furry Feet

Postby tickman » Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:36 pm

That looks VERY nice.
Glad to see it also has a passenger side in as good condition as the driver side.
The steering wheel looks great, did you recover it yourself?
tickman

Scotland (sf)

Postby Big Al » Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:58 pm

I added the Italian leather cover myself. Gives it a lovely feel and picked the green thread to match the interior. I need to dress it a little to sit right but I only got it delivered yesterday.
Big Al
Furry Feet

Postby plastic orange » Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:41 pm

Looks Braw :-)

PO
Undefeated best Orange Hawaiian award Pateley Bridge 5 years in a row.
plastic orange

Awards: 8
Contributions 2016 (1) Contributions 2017 (1) Members Choice Award (1)

Scotland (sf) UK Scotland (.j)

Postby woodywoodchipper » Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:59 pm

Aah, heated rear windows, great when its cold and pushing, :roll: :roll:

nice motor, well done,

so what about alfie???

and dotty??

When its done its done (for now)
Derv Turbo Power (Joosed)
woodywoodchipper

Awards: 6
Contributions 2011 (1) Contributions 2012 (1) Contributions 2013 (1) Contributions 2015 (1) Contributions 2016 (1)
Contributions 2017 (1)

United Kingdom (uk) UK Lancashire (lk)

Postby MickEssex » Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:28 pm

That yellow/pink thing on the steering wheel is going to get right in the way when going round corners. 8)
Ragnar Image Previously owned Cassie Image Julie Image
MickEssex

Awards: 8
Contributions 2016 (1) Contributions 2017 (1) MMO Annual Award Winner (1)

Great Britain (GB) UK Essex (.m)

Postby ruairidh » Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:56 pm

Very nice clean looking interior. :-)
Be all you can be
ruairidh

Scotland (sf) UK Northern Ireland (ek)

Postby MechanicMichael » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:29 pm

For the boot in my two seater. I used small brass hinges, which you can just see one doge when the lids down.

Personally can you not put cupboard magnets in 4 points on the lid/floor.

Other idea. Two strips on the lid to hook under the floor and a cabinet lock on the other side to lock it or hinge one side and lock on the other.

I suffer the tools bouncing over bumps in the road on the two seater. I can not do speed bumps.
Austin J40.
Mk2 Yellow Raleigh Chopper.
Mk2 Red Raleigh Chopper.
Mk2 Raleigh Chopper Tandem
Mk1 Raleigh Chopper Orange.
Mk1 Raleigh Chopper Yellow.
Mk1 Raleigh Chopper Orange
Sinclair C5.
Self build Two Seater Sports Car (Replica Caterham 7)
MechanicMichael

England (en) UK Kent (.i)

Next

Return to Long-term Projects & Showroom