1958-4door Saloon= BAS Mr " Faulty".

Follow inspiring projects as they develop then show them off !

1958-4door Saloon= BAS Mr " Faulty".

Postby minormadman » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:51 am

Hello all.
I am making a fresh start on here, with a brand new thread, on the above vehicle, which is waiting in the wings.
You might think I’m a little early –starting this thread- but, there's nothing like be well prepared. ;)
This car is being collected by me, in person, in the very near future.Which may or may not involve visiting a couple of well received invitation from two "Southern Gentlemen"
The car is presently being prepared for what I shall call, an adventurous 200 mile journey, well for me at any rate, with a little help from my Son.
The drive, up to the hallowed ground of Yorkshire,  :lol: from that lovely County of Kent, “The Garden of England”, is something I eagerly await.

The car was found by my Mrs, "Lynn", on the internet-through this great forum of ours=morrisminorowners.co.uk.
She was looking for some way to cheer me up (miserable sod) and help me feel better about the failed project restoration of another 4 door, = Project "Phoenix".

This new (old) car had apparently been offered for sale, quite recently, but was withdrawn almost immediately, after the gearbox failed when being driven out and about, checking that all was well.
The car had been spotted as being for sale, but as it was then with drawn almost immediately, it was discounted.
A short  time later, there was a remark by a “certain” furry footed individual ,which implied that another” certain” individual (non named -Mick)-member, had a spare gearbox down the side of his garage-well, this comment was picked up on almost immediately, by you know who. There was a pm sent, and a short while later-Bang, the rest is now Forum history.
The car has a current MOT  :D ,for a little later this year, and of course is free road tax  (paid for by Her Majesty's Government :lol: ) Don't you just love that :)

It is a '58 early series 3, in Pearl grey.(anyone know this paints make up ratios, of the colour?
This colour was originally thought to be Pale Ivory, but a production numbers check, against the dates these colours were used, ruled that out.
It still has the  standard, original  948cc engine, recently rebuilt, with a newly replaced smooth cased gearbox, with another a fully functional spare, all as part of the  deal,(many thanks to Mr Mick Essex and of course the present owner Paul V. a good member on here)
I'll be the 5th owner, of this very original car, and looking forwards to some interesting times during its usage. It is being well prepared and looked at by a trusted source, so I have no doubt that , that everything will be well.
The price was arranged, and the deal completely, all done (the old fashioned-and time honoured way- of a gentleman’s agreement.)
The car is in need of some TLC, especially to the bodywork paint, but nothing major is expected for a good few years as yet as it has been well cared for.
However:-along with the  paint, the upholstery, basic mechanicals and the  continuance of  anti-rust measures, which  will all be in  demand- I suspect this is the case of most of these great little cars.
This rolling refurbishment is a far cry from a major overhaul which is what was required in my previous project, which sadly, I failed on, but that was beyond my control.
I believe that, as much as I could not continue with the total rebuild of project "Phoenix"-, because of certain difficulties-I will be very much “up” for this rolling refurbishment.

I have to say that the initial attraction of this car, to Lynn, was that this one looks very similar to what the "failed" project would have turned out like, white exterior with a red/maroon interior.

“Nothing to do it’s condition, the engine, running gear, or the historical links of the vehicle ":lol:  :lol:  :lol: I had better stop there or I shall get accused of sexist comments LOL

The main ideas behind the previous project car, was to rescue it from oblivion, and keeping it fairly standard. This strategy would allow using it, as much as possible as a daily driver, and yet showing it, and   by attending any rally’s or carshow events.
Part of those original sentiments holds true with this one-keep it as original as possible (nothing to do with Concours) and to use as much as possible as a daily driver and attend shows etc.

This car still has its original deluxe leather interior in Maroon and red, with what’s left of the original maroon carpets, which are all presently, a little worse for wear.
I intend replacing or changing certain Items, especially when considering some safety aspects to help its daily driver abilities during ownership.

The UK VIN Code (Chassis Cab) plate details are M/AS 3 D 698735 which means built at Cowley.
I have no paperwork on the car as yet, but I have found out it was made before February 1959 ,but quite late in '58 or very early in '59's production run, actually,easily within the first 6,000 early cars that were made.

If all goes to plan, my Son will be driving me south to collect the car and then riding shotgun on the way back “up country”, and if he';s a good lad sharing the driving. :wink:`  If work intervenes with “Plan A” then it’ll be taking a rail trip down to the Smoke, and a lonesome drive “Up North”.

Driving north will be covered by having very adequate breakdown and relay /travel insurance; but either way it’ll be another “minor” escapade for, Plonker Lloyd again.
We are hoping against hope, that this will be the very start of what we all hope is going to be a long, happy, busy, but predominantly an enjoyable family acquaintance, in this cars history. Also look forwards, “again”, to a good retirement project.
I have been busy making a list of items of all that I assess I may need to take with me for, what will be a very “challenging” day out.
I have been helped by a member, who has suggested a very comprehensive list-but it’ll be nice to see what other members suggest, by comparison. I have also had my chum MartinLowe, give me the first and some say may be the important spare part  item-a 948 fan belt (I didn’t even know there was a difference  between that one and the 1098 one)
:lol:
So if you have any ideas, of how to prepare and what to take-please post them up-I bet some of you have some really interesting car collection stories?

We would like it to be a good start.

Watch this space.

Thanks everyone for looking.

"What goes around-comes around"

"You never know when its your turn next-so be as good as you can be"

Phillip Mellor-Grimethorpe school teacher, 1959
minormadman
Uncle Albert

Awards: 7
Contributions 2011 (1) Contributions 2012 (1) Contributions 2013 (1) Contributions 2014 (1) Contributions 2015 (1)
Contributions 2016 (1) MMO Annual Award Winner 2015 (1)

England (en) UK Yorkshire (eu)

Postby 2fry » Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:00 pm

The adventure continues......Well done Cliff(or should i say Mrs Cliff) ;-)

G.
2fry

Awards: 4
Contributions 2011 (1) Contributions 2012 (1) Contributions 2013 (1) MMO Annual Award Winner (1)

Scotland (sf)

Postby chesney » Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:07 pm

Hurrah :D Best of luck with her Cliff, you deserve it :)
Perhaps, in true form, 'Out of the ashes' ;)
chesney
I beat the Great MMO Challenge!

Location: Le Tronquay, nr Bayeux, en France - Pop in for a cuppa!
Awards: 1
Contributions 2013 (1)

France (fr) UK Yorkshire (eu)

Postby MickEssex » Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:10 pm

I hope the weather allows you to collect him very soon Cliff. Looking forward to hearing about all your escapades and adventures with Mr Faulty. :D
Ragnar Image Previously owned Cassie Image Julie Image
MickEssex

Awards: 8
Contributions 2011 (1) Contributions 2012 (1) Contributions 2013 (1) Contributions 2014 (1) Contributions 2015 (1)
Contributions 2016 (1) Contributions 2017 (1) MMO Annual Award Winner (1)

Great Britain (GB) UK Essex (.m)

Postby plastic orange » Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:13 pm

Look forward to the progress :)

PO
Image Image

Undefeated best Orange Hawaiian award Pateley Bridge 4 years in a row
plastic orange

Awards: 8
Contributions 2016 (1) Contributions 2017 (1) Members Choice Award (1)

Scotland (sf) UK Scotland (.j)

Postby Big Al » Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:23 pm

Can't wait to hear about the trials and tribulations of Mr 'Baz' Faulty from 'Faulty Tyres'... :lol:
Big Al
Furry Feet

Awards: 9
Contributions 2016 (1) Contributions 2017 (1) MMO Annual Award Winner (1) MMO Top Tester (1)

England (en) UK Hertfordshire (.h)

Postby jonathon H » Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:23 pm

Good news Cliff, glad to see you sorted.
Re colour ,look at Dants zetec 2dr we are building as this is Pearl grey (not white). Easy find in auto paint stores. and a very nice colour too.
Good luck with the project, funny as I was about to offer a couple of our cars a 51 and a 63, both fantastic condition but requiring cosmetics. :wink:  :D
JLH MINOR RESTORATION LTD
www.jlhmorrisminors.co.uk
jonathon H
Tuning Wizard

Awards: 3
Contributions 2011 (1) Contributions 2012 (1) MMO Annual Award Winner (1)

Postby snadger » Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:11 pm

A bit of a De-va-ju reading your post Cliff. Welcome to the 59'er Pearl Grey club. :D
More piccies please once aquired as it will be nice to se what mine SHOULD (and will) eventually look like! :wink:
Hope the weathers a bit better where you are though as there' 6 inches of the white furry stuff around here! :shock:
Glad you've got sorted out so quickly after the Pheonix 8) . As they say, "If you fall off yer bke, get straight back on again"! :wink:

Good luck with it mate! :lol:
Know nowt, hope to learn summat!
snadger

Postby snadger » Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:23 pm

Some young chap (who shall remain un-named) sent me a piccie of what my engine bay should look like. :D

If Basil's looks like this there should be nowt the matter! :wink:
snadger

Postby chesney » Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:30 pm

Especially if it has a gold seal engine :lol:
chesney

Contributions 2013 (1)

Postby Daddybear1984 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:30 pm

Great to hear/read about the new car(Mr Faulty?) and sorry to hear about Phoenix

i look forward to reading about your work and who knows one day i may come have a sneaky peak if that was okay obviously as your only up the road from me.

all the best

Scott
When you're in up over your head, the first thing to do is close your mouth.
Daddybear1984

Awards: 2
Contributions 2014 (1) Contributions 2015 (1)

Postby snadger » Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:52 pm

chesney:86086 wrote:Especially if it has a gold seal engine :lol:

Amazing what a tin of woolies gold paint can do! :lol:

Often wondered, what is a gold seal engine? :?  Must be special in some way I pressume, apart from being painted gold? :?
snadger

Postby minormadman » Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:07 pm

Now that's an engine bay :)
Hope your weather improves soon snadger?

Thanks for all the good wishes ladies and gents,I shall certainly try to enjoy this one to the full.

There will not be too much action on here untill " Mr Faulty" gets collected,but I do hope I am not tempting fate by going with the BAS  name. It sort of just out from the side of the road and started to give my car a "D@mned good thrashing" within an inch of it's life :lol:

Many thanks for that suggestion Jonathon, I had seen it before but don't why  I thought that had been named as another colour-it is a proper Morris colour and its a grey-that sound familiar.

Regards
Cliff

"What goes around-comes around"

"You never know when its your turn next-so be as good as you can be"

Phillip Mellor-Grimethorpe school teacher, 1959
minormadman
Uncle Albert

Awards: 7
Contributions 2016 (1) MMO Annual Award Winner 2015 (1)

England (en) UK Yorkshire (eu)

Postby chrisryder » Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:12 pm

snadger:86089 wrote:
chesney:86086 wrote:Especially if it has a gold seal engine :lol:

Amazing what a tin of woolies gold paint can do! :lol:

Often wondered, what is a gold seal engine? :?  Must be special in some way I pressume, apart from being painted gold? :?

A factory full recon. Then painted gold to denote such a fact.

I believe silver-seal were just bottom end recons. Reusing the original head.

They really annoy me. People always hark on about how amazing it must be as it has a gold seal engine and box... Wahey... that was still done a long time ago, and can be just as worn out as a non-goldseal version!

'But but but... it's gold!'
:violent3:
chrisryder

Postby chesney » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:00 pm

chrisryder:86093 wrote:They really annoy me. People always hark on about how amazing it must be as it has a gold seal engine and box... Wahey... that was still done a long time ago, and can be just as worn out as a non-goldseal version!

'But but but... it's gold!'
:violent3:

Sorry to annoy you then :roll: :lol:
Between an engine, and an engine that has had a known recon in the past, guess which one I'd choose! :D
chesney

Contributions 2013 (1)

Next

Return to Long-term Projects & Showroom