Minor Million Traveller

Follow inspiring projects as they develop then show them off !

Minor Million Traveller

Postby Brit Car Fan » Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:10 pm

I've been rebuilding Mini's for 30 odd years now and recently my wife dropped into a conversation that she would love to have a Traveller to take to shows and runs. Now at this point I should say that she doesn't drive so it's a Traveller for me to drive her to shows and runs etc.
After spending some time looking around for a suitable car and turning down loads that where (restored!!! Didn't realise that meant loads of filler and a dodgy spray job) I decided the best thing to do was to look for as un-molested car as I could find and go from there.
I'd planned to upgrade it a bit, so you can imagine how chuffed I was to have found this diamond in the rough on Ebay.
1275 sprite engine, 5 speed gearbox conversion, uprated/lowered suspension new old stock wood kit as well as a disc brake conversion.
All original panels, floors will need a little work as well as a bit around the back.
Where does the Minor million come from. Well my wife loves Purple and wants her Moggy to be purple. I don't think I'd want to drive a full on purple car and being a lover of genuine suggested Minor millionaire pink (strange name for lilac I'm sure some one will enlighten me on why it's called that.
Anyhow. Picked up the car a short while ago, so it's all steam ahead on opperation Minor Million Traveller (sorry if I upset any total Minor purists)
Attachments
IMG_2547.JPG
IMG_2545.JPG
IMG_2548.JPG
Brit Car Fan

United Kingdom (uk) UK Devon (dz)

Re: Minor Million Traveller

Postby Panky » Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:35 pm

It's at this point she mentions it was a Mini traveller she wanted ;)
Welcome along from me :D Looks like a bargain project you've bagged yourself
Panky

United Kingdom (uk) UK England (.g)

Postby BrianHawley » Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:40 pm

And why not?

I remember when I was younger there was a bloke who built an MG 1800 land crab. Such a thing never existed - just Austin and Morris versions - but it might have, so he built it.

I do hope you go for the full white interior and the Morris 1000000 side badges. (Probably have to make those.) I'd love to see that at a show.
Brian

"Jodie". '67 Traveller, 1275, discs, van wheels, vert shocks, arb etc.
BrianHawley

Awards: 1
Contributions 2017 (1)

Saudi Arabia (sa)

Postby Plin » Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:44 pm

:D Welcome to posting Brit Car Fan!

Look forward to watching your Traveller transform into a Minor Million Traveller (the lilac colour should look very pleasing on a Traveller).
Plin

Awards: 9
Contributions 2011 (1) Contributions 2012 (1) Contributions 2013 (1) Contributions 2014 (1) Contributions 2015 (1)
Contributions 2016 (1) Contributions 2017 (1) MMO Annual Award 2016 (1) MMO Top Tester (1)

Postby Brit Car Fan » Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:06 pm

Well a busy time stripping the car down, but it's all in lots and lots of pieces now.
Some parts are worse than expected. It looks like it's had some very interesting repairs to both front chassis legs, but more areas are better than I was expecting so that must be a result.
Car is now off to the media blaster for a thorough going over, lets see how much of it comes back???
Attachments
IMG_0305.jpg
IMG_0313.jpg
IMG_0315.jpg
IMG_0316.jpg
Brit Car Fan

PostThis post was deleted by The vast minority on Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:29 pm.

Postby Brit Car Fan » Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:42 pm

Well with the car and all the panels off being blasted and not due back until Monday, I thought I'd have a go at cleaning and servicing the axle.
Like anything that's nearly fifty years old absolutely caked in muck and oil. The N/S brake assembly was strangely just not there!
Attachments
IMG_0694.jpg
IMG_0693.jpg
IMG_0695.jpg
Brit Car Fan

Postby Brit Car Fan » Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:48 pm

So after an awful lot of scraping followed by half an hour of steam cleaning the axle was all clean. Stripped it down. Replaced wheel bearings, ALL the rear brakes including drums, shoes etc and just to make sure I have put new diff seals in as well. All finished off with a nice coat of 2K satin black to withstand stone chips. So with all that done I can sit back over the weekend and see what I get back from blasting
Attachments
IMG_0794.jpg
IMG_0793.jpg
IMG_0796.jpg
IMG_0797.jpg
Brit Car Fan

Postby Brit Car Fan » Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:19 pm

Well the Traveller has come back from the media blaster and I've got to be honest, I'm pretty happy with the amount of steel that's good steel!) that he has given me back. I'm more used to getting Mini's back with 90 percent of them missing.
Front chassis legs are pretty bad as suspected.
Attachments
IMG_0380.jpg
Brit Car Fan

Postby Brit Car Fan » Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:27 pm

N/S front floor section will need replacing as well as some repairs to the back end.
There's a few repairs on the rear arches.
So it's time to drag out the cutting equipment and the mig and gas welder.
Attachments
IMG_0382.jpg
IMG_0386.jpg
IMG_0387.jpg
Brit Car Fan

Postby BrianHawley » Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:28 pm

Seen worse.

Hang in there!
Brian

BrianHawley

Contributions 2017 (1)

Saudi Arabia (sa)

Postby Brit Car Fan » Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:50 pm

Well I thought I might as well start with the chassis legs. I had ordered up a load of parts last week after stripping it down.
N/S chassis leg was in a pretty bad state under the huge 3 thick plates that had been badly welded on. Still once I'd cut out all the scab, what's left under is good and solid so have welded on a new leg.
A much easoer job that I had thought it would be. Having said that, I'm working on a bare metaled shell ( I did spray the whole lot with zinc 182 when it came back from blasting) sat on it's side in a dry but cold workshop. Not sure how much I would want to do one underneath a complete car covered in muck and gunge.
Attachments
IMG_0529.jpg
IMG_0534.jpg
IMG_0538.jpg
Brit Car Fan

Postby ruairidh » Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:59 pm

Looking good don't be tempted to rush and make sure your welds are good. :)
Be all you can be
ruairidh

Awards: 2
Contributions 2012 (1) Contributions 2013 (1)

Scotland (sf) UK Northern Ireland (ek)

Postby Brit Car Fan » Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:59 pm

Well it's been a busy Christmas break. Having a whole 10 days off earning money I've been able to get some real forward motion with the car.
Loads of grinding and cutting out followed by loads of drilling holes, punching holes followed by plug and seam welding.
It's amazing how a scbby rusty panel looks so much better with the rot just cut out let alone when the repair has been welded in!
Rear step was in a bit of a state as you can see. once I'd cut it cut it out and folded up a new step panel, it was just a case of welding in and cleaning up
Going to load up more of this Christmases work tomorrow when my fingers have warmed up! it's 2 degrees in my workshop, so time to go home I think
Attachments
IMG_0455.jpg
IMG_0465.jpg
IMG_0467.jpg
IMG_0469.jpg
IMG_0471.jpg
IMG_0475.jpg
Brit Car Fan

Postby BrianHawley » Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:26 pm

Looks like you are making good progress.

(I really must learn to weld better. I can do strong, but not neat.)

Sent from my TENCH 889B using Tapatalk
Brian

BrianHawley

Contributions 2017 (1)

Saudi Arabia (sa)

Next

Return to Long-term Projects & Showroom