Gwen.

Follow inspiring projects as they develop then show them off !

Postby plastic orange » Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:54 pm

Good to see you're back on the road.

Pete
Undefeated best Orange Hawaiian award Pateley Bridge 5 years in a row.
plastic orange

Awards: 11
Contributions 2011 (1) Contributions 2012 (1) Contributions 2013 (1) Contributions 2014 (1) Contributions 2015 (1)
Contributions 2016 (1) Contributions 2017 (1) Contributions 2018 (1) Contributions 2019 (1) Contributions 2020 (1)
Members Choice Award (1)

Scotland (sf) UK Scotland (.j)

Postby tickman » Thu May 06, 2010 9:18 am

Quick update:
Went to get the tax disc friday 30th so I queue in the post office. I joined longest queue in the world due to everyone needing a tax disc and the smelly annoying drunk moaning about the time it was taking made it even less fun :roll:

So I get to the front of the queue and hand over the necessary papers, they ask if I want 6 or 12 months, I say 12 as usual and she ends up not being able to put it through as it comes up as taked because it is sorned Fail at that then :twisted:

Time to get the girls from school so off I go then take Meg to her Gymnastics class so Charlie and I go to the DVLA. Park in the multi story next door, get a ticket, hand over the forms and get a tax disc.
Get back to the car and pay the £1.50 for 8 mins parking :shock:

Disc goes in the window the following morning and she gets parked back on the road where she belongs :D

I wanted to change one of the front seats as it had a green seat base in the passenger side of the car and the drivers side was a passenger seat.
Took out the drivers seat and fitted the spare red one I picked up over two years ago in a trip with Plastic Orange.
Drivers seat fitted and passenger seat swapped also so it now looks as it should for the first time in at least 5 years
:D

Took it for a spin to Alyth yesterday 15 miles each way. All went well if a little noisy.
I had bought a thermostat for it quite a while ago to fill up an order and decided it was time to get it fitted (old one stuck open I think as it never go to higher than 140 F) took the necessary bits apart after finding the 'stat and fitted that yeaterday.
Since doing that It has not been driven but comes up to a higher temp now which should help :D

Well thats all for now, need to set the tappets and possibly check the timing (never done any of these before, tappets will be straight forward but the timing.....wish me luck)

John
tickman

Awards: 3
Contributions 2012 (1) Contributions 2013 (1) Contributions 2018 (1)

Scotland (sf)

Postby Orkney » Thu May 06, 2010 11:14 am

I joined longest queue in the world due to everyone needing a tax disc and the smelly annoying drunk moaning about the time it was taking made it even less fun

Bloody hell he wasnt wearing a Llama T-Shirt was he  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
Orkney

Postby tickman » Thu May 06, 2010 12:44 pm

Orkney wrote:
I joined longest queue in the world due to everyone needing a tax disc and the smelly annoying drunk moaning about the time it was taking made it even less fun

Bloody hell he wasnt wearing a Llama T-Shirt was he  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

No Llama shirt. the best bit was he asked me to move up in the queue when someone at the front got served but it meant I would be standing in the way of the shop door so I said no because of the door to that he answered "hadn't noticed that", yes it was the door we all walked through :roll:
tickman

Scotland (sf)

Postby Orkney » Thu May 06, 2010 12:54 pm

Aww bless he was probably eager to cash his weekly govmnt free booze allowance AKA giro !
Orkney

Postby tickman » Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:39 pm

Well since the last update I have done very little until this week:
The ride has been very rough in the back because of the state of the roads so I decided to try and make it better so I took off the dampers and drained the old oil (runny and silvery?) and filled them up with engine oil. The change is amazing :D

Next was change the oil in the rear axle, I had never done this so thought better to do it.
Then changed the oil in the gearbox as I had also never done that. Quite difficult to fill it up but luckly I now had an empty EP90 bottle so used that to get the stuff in.

The clutch has a lot of travel with your foot needing to go to the floor to change gear so I adjusted that and the car is so much better to drive.

I have the seat as far back as possible and Marianne has the seat as far forward as possible (also a couple of cushions) but the seat is difficult to move forward  :roll:  so I had to design and make a device to putt the seat forward so 1 bungee cord later and it works quite well  :D

Finally I got round to adjusting the timing after checking the valve clearances. Gwen now seams to have a bit more power but still I haven't got a clue if it is right as the exhaust joint must be blowing. So I will refix that and see how it goes over the next few days. At least it seems to have stopped running on :?

Sorry Dave no pics as I was mucky and just wanted it done :D

Tune in again some time in the future to see if I have done anything else or more likely not :D

John
tickman

Scotland (sf)

Postby tickman » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:43 pm

Well doesn't time fly when you are having fun!
Over 12 months and nothing done this isn't strictly true though as obviously she has had her MOT which involved her chucking her toys out of the pram!

To elaborate first off she was running a little rough and I put it off and put it off until the MOT was a month away. Now I have a deadline (always work better under pressure) so I have to get her sorted.

I take her to where I was working as I had to let people in and start 'fixing' her at the side of the road. Needless to say things never go to plan and I get a friend to tow me home behind his Land Rover. Has anyone else noticed how nice it is doing 40 MPH with no noise coming from your Minor?

So over the next week in the times I manage to get to her I swap the carb over for a spare as well as fit a whole load of parts to the ignition system. This all results in Gwen now running but very rich.

I then take her to the rearranged MOT appointment at which she passes, with the obvious things that will need done before next time!

So I now have a car that is running and legal :)

Carry on with life and the next time I drive her ( she is Marianne's ) I notice that when I turn right the seat moves! When turning left no problem.

This problem is easily solved so now I just turn left!

Seriously though my next available time to finally get round to looking is today and I find this  :(

One of these looks ok the other shows how it actually is.
So now I have to fix the only seat in the car that really matters!

So over the the next few weeks (Read months as it is now cold and the garage is a state) I have to fix this!

The joys of classic motoring  :D
tickman

Scotland (sf)

Postby Big Al » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:11 pm

Congrats on the MOT pass.

Can't you swap the seats whilst you take the week(month) or so to fix that one? Or just put an orange crate where the passenger seat should go whilst it's replacing the drivers seat. You'll be surprised how many boxes of Jaffa Cakes you can get into an orange box...  :lol:

Failing that take it to the Scottish Meet and challenge someone to fix it.  :wink:
Big Al
Furry Feet

Awards: 12
Contributions 2011 (1) Contributions 2012 (1) Contributions 2013 (1) Contributions 2014 (1) Contributions 2015 (1)
Contributions 2016 (1) Contributions 2017 (1) Contributions 2018 (1) Contributions 2019 (1) Contributions 2020 (1)
MMO Annual Award Winner (1) MMO Top Tester (1)

England (en) UK Hertfordshire (.h)

Postby tickman » Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:21 am

Al if I swap the seats then I will never get round to it. If it undriveable then I will have to sort it!

At least that is the idea!
tickman

Scotland (sf)

Postby Big Al » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:42 am

I'll suggest it again at Easter then...?  :lol:  :lol:  :wink:
Big Al
Furry Feet

Postby plastic orange » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:00 pm

You coming to the gathering at mine on the 23rd?

PO
Undefeated best Orange Hawaiian award Pateley Bridge 5 years in a row.
plastic orange

Awards: 11
Members Choice Award (1)

Scotland (sf) UK Scotland (.j)

Postby tickman » Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:20 pm

Big Al:54077 wrote:I'll suggest it again at Easter then...?  :lol:  :lol:  :wink:

That would be really helpful Al  :)

plastic orange:54080 wrote:You coming to the gathering at mine on the 23rd?

PO

Pete, if I am lucky I will be able to get a couple of hours away from working but it all depends on how much I can get done in the time between now and then! I will know nearer the time and if it OK with you for a gate crasher for a while then I would love to come along and get very confused as to who everyone is :oops:

Also Andy is bringing up the side light / indicators from his charity auction so I will have to collect them at some point and the day itself seems like as good a time as any!
tickman

Scotland (sf)

Postby tickman » Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:04 pm

Al no need to remind me at Easter as it is now done!
I had a spare drivers seat that the adjuster had obviously broken and had been welded so there was no adjustment. This was no good as there are only so many cushions you can fit behind your wife before she falls off the seat and still only just reaches the pedals.

So take one broken seat and cut the end of the adjuster off which leaves this behind:

Next line it up with the end of the part on the 'new' seat and tell it to stay with a bit of welding. Then stand back and notice that plenty of 'dressing' is required to get the adjuster to select all positions.
This then leaves this:

I had to strip and replace the covers of the seat as they were a different colour, the seat now has double padding on the back and a diaphragm seat support.
Looking rather 'plump'

Then carry through the house to find a suitable space for it:

Get sore knees on the road and end up with this:

Probably took an hour all in, rather than the months I had expected  :D
tickman

Scotland (sf)

Postby Big Al » Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:24 pm

Can I eat my Easter Egg now then...? :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Well done.  :wink:
Big Al
Furry Feet

Postby tickman » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:12 pm

Big Al:54142 wrote:Can I eat my Easter Egg now then...? :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Well done.  :wink:

Well as it is not even the middle of October yet you might have trouble getting one!

Maybe next week they will have them in if you are lucky :D
tickman

Scotland (sf)

PreviousNext

Return to Long-term Projects & Showroom