Gwen.

Follow inspiring projects as they develop then show them off !

Postby smeggy » Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:15 pm

:lol:    you need to use a screwdriver or bar to put pressure on the joint then whack the steering arm square on and 9 times out of 10 they pop off first hit   Hope This Helps
You may get to touch her
If your gloves are sterilised
Rinse your mouth with listerine
Blow disinfectant in her eyes
smeggy
swamp donkey

Postby tickman » Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:32 pm

I had a 4 foot piece of uni-strut wedged in and a range of hammers None of it worked but the splitter did it straight away.
tickman

Awards: 3
Contributions 2012 (1) Contributions 2013 (1) Contributions 2018 (1)

Scotland (sf)

Postby tickman » Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:51 pm

Done a little more today :)

Wipers now working again, was just a poor contact at the switch.

Washer tubing replaced including an electric pump an switch fitted but they still need wired but that is a quiet job so can be done when all have gone to bed one night.

Inside rear trim back in place and rear seat in also after the welding and paint.

It is now back with the front up on ramps for the engine bay to be a nice work height to tidy up some of the wires as the fabric loom outer is very poor in some places.

Thats about it!

John.
tickman

Scotland (sf)

Postby DaveS » Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:56 pm

John great reading and well done.
Any chance of more pics of your progress cus I love to see pics :D
DaveS
Duffer

Awards: 9
Contributions 2011 (1) Contributions 2012 (1) Contributions 2013 (1) Contributions 2014 (1) Contributions 2015 (1)
Contributions 2016 (1) Contributions 2017 (1) Contributions 2018 (1) Contributions 2019 (1)

England (en) UK Lancashire (lk)

Postby tickman » Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:34 pm

Will do Dave.
Not much to see at the moment :(
Little bits at a time and it will get done in the end.....or will it ever end  :?
tickman

Scotland (sf)

Postby tickman » Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:55 pm

For Dave, sorry for the poor photos but tough :)
Wireing before and after.
Not the same piece but you get the idea!
Washer pump out, would not undo so it got 'yanked out' :lol:
New pump mounted behind the dash.
My mystery switch which sounds the horn when the ignition switch is switched on!
Seat and trim back in
Bits welded now in paint
Switch for the washers, unfortunatly very poor plastic thing from one of the main part suppliers, will find one of the correct size for the hole in the dash eventually.

There we go :)
tickman

Scotland (sf)

Postby DaveS » Wed Nov 26, 2008 4:35 pm

Thankyou my friend,enjoyed them
DaveS
Duffer

Contributions 2011 (1) Contributions 2012 (1) Contributions 2013 (1) Contributions 2014 (1) Contributions 2015 (1)
Contributions 2016 (1) Contributions 2017 (1) Contributions 2018 (1) Contributions 2019 (1)

Postby mrbenn » Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:44 pm

Nice pictures John, you've been busy  8)

I do like your mystery switch too, good idea!
mrbenn
What magic door?

Awards: 2
Contributions 2011 (1) Contributions 2012 (1)

Postby tickman » Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:26 pm

Done a little more today.
Wired in the switch and pump for the washers when I tested it I discovered it was running backwards so of course any sensible person would swap two wires over, not me!
I took it as the opertunity to convert to negative earth as this has never been done.
At least changing it over is a quick job, wrong again!
Battery off and turned round, take off battery connectors from cable, this is when it got a little more involved as I ended up drilling out the recess where the wire goes. Still it got done and is now back as it should be with negative earth.
Took two boring photos!

Before:
After:
Yes it is in the correct order. The battery the car came with was not too good but just good enough to make buying a new one not a forced option.
Then buy some happy twist of fate for me the mother in laws car failed its MOT, N reg Fiesta rotton to bits, and was getting scrapped so I nicked the battery out of it and the terminals were the other way round:D
No cutting bits out of the battery bar for me :D
Thats all for today :D
tickman

Scotland (sf)

Postby tickman » Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:59 am

Guess what?

An update!

Yes it is true I have done some work on it :shock:

Been busy since the last update doing anything else possible, Gutting and rebuilding a cottage, this is just about done now so the tools had to start moving back home which in turn means the garage is needed for tools not a pointless car looking sad for itself.

First job was to make it possible to get the car out to the road. This unfortunatly involved moving loads of stuff, bricks, slabs, ladders, bikes ........ you get the idea. This alone took about 4 hours (had to put it all back after) once this was done it was put across the road on my neighbours drive (thanks again John) there it sat for the next few weeks while the garage filled up with stuff.

Two weeks ago we put down about 55 square meters of block paving so needed a rest?
Decided to get the car ready for MOT.
List went like this:
Put rear drivers wing on.
Rub back and primer rear passenger wing.
Fit and wire both rear lights.
Clean, bleed and adjust all the brakes.
Test brakes on the private road.
So after a good days work all appeared done.

I checked all the lights, wipers and all the other obvious stuff that is easy to see if it is ok and decided it was ready for the people that give us our fail sheets to have a look at it.

An appointment was booked for 11am today so insurance was organised (£85 fully comp :D ) and all was set.

Today started early at 5:30 for no reason, just woke up so I guess I was a little unsure of the outcome. Wet out and windy.
The last thing to do was paint the letters and numbers back onto the rear plate because they were mostly yellow like the background, obviously I should have done this yesterday when I looked at it while it was nice, dry and even sunny but no that would have made sense!
Out to the garage dig out the black hammerite (4 year old tin with poor fitting lid) opened the tin and had to pierce the rather thick skin to get to the paint. Got an old cornflake box and propped it over the plate to keep most of the rain off while I did my best to keep in the lines.

Dropped the kids off at school and came back to the house. Pulled the car back across to mine to empty the boot, 3 tool boxes and a trolley jack out it was time to go to the petrol station as it had only the can of fuel in from last week. £17 later and it reads nearly full (i assume something else to check!) then off to the MOT station.

Again I checked that everything was working:
Wipers were needed and were fine.
Washers working fine.
Indicators working ok (have to hold the arm sometimes for left)
Horn......not working! Worked the other day when I was getting out of the car and set it off by accident.
Get to the garage and take the horn push out and short the connectors in the wheel and the horn works so the horn push is at fault!
Obviously I don't have another with me so I decided to take the one I have apart. Bent the three tabs in and it all comes to pieces. The metal disc above the spring was not making an electrical connection.
Scraped of the surface and cleaned up as much as I could then put it all back together, horn now working.

MOT time arrives so I drive the car in and leave it running. Hand over the last MOT certificate so they can get the numbers easily (the last MOT ran out on November 12th 2007)

The test takes place, the usual happens I open the bonnet for them and also show them where the screen wash now is.
Every thing seems to go ok then it is time for the brake test which is the bit I was unsure about as you can never tell if they are even or not (or at least I cannot)
That seems to go ok.

Finally the result, a PASS of course  :D

Well chuffed as I was expecting to have something to sort out and then return.

So next on the list is get a tax disc when the insurance cert arrives.

Thats all for now, expect the next update in about 18 months.

John
tickman

Scotland (sf)

Postby Orkney » Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:53 pm

Great news!
Orkney

Postby Guest » Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:23 pm

Nice one  8)

Postby DaveS » Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:49 pm

I just love your posts John :D  :D

Well done another great read with a big result.
DaveS
Duffer

Postby tickman » Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:14 pm

DaveS wrote:I just love your posts John :D  :D

Well done another great read with a big result.

:oops:

Thanks.
tickman

Scotland (sf)

Postby minormadman » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:56 pm

Sucess John- really well done and not only all that but entertaining also-keep up the great work.

"What goes around-comes around"

"You never know when its your turn next-so be as good as you can be"

Phillip Mellor-Grimethorpe school teacher, 1959
minormadman
Deceased Member
Deceased Member

Contributions 2016 (1) Contributions 2017 (1) Contributions 2018 (1) MMO Annual Award Winner 2015 (1)

England (en) UK Yorkshire (eu)

PreviousNext

Return to Long-term Projects & Showroom