The "Hobo"

Follow inspiring projects as they develop then show them off !

The "Hobo"

Postby jimmy-d » Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:03 am

Well,Christine,my long term project ute is still ongoing and I guess I should put in an update but thought I would introduce you to "hobo". This is a side project for when I am looking for something to do,Im sure we all have those days when we get frustrated with our long suffering projects and want to do something else,well this is him!
Paid $52 Australian and 3 times as much in transport to get it home,ebay auction,I was the only bidder. A rolling shell,pretty much as you see in the pics here,I have started a bit of work and yes it does have rust but not as much as you would expect for $52. The plan is clean and simple,a semi resto with nothing crazy,just a comfortable car to drive that will perform adequately on the road to keep up with traffic etc,something that I can enjoy driving.
Rust wise,drivers side "A" pillar,passenger side engine bay tie plate,rear passenger side body and because it was sitting out in the rain for a while uncovered water got into to the rear seat front riser panel so having to cut that open,repair,rust proof and seal up again,the outcome of a lazy previous owner that could have been avoided,am also removing the battery shelf. Anyway,a couple of pics and will update as I think about it. Hope you all are well,we are just heading for summer so hoping to get some decent time on all the cars..
Attachments
DSCF1979.JPG
DSCF1981.JPG
DSCF1982.JPG
DSCF1983.JPG
DSCF1987.JPG
DSCF1988.JPG
DSCF2011.JPG
how can you work to a budget when you own a morris minor?
jimmy-d

Re: The "Hobo"

Postby jimmy-d » Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:36 am

This also is still happening,even slower than Christine! I have a vision in mind for it but is very basic and no where near as much work as the ute has been. Mostly everything will be bolt on with this car and very little custom fabrication,it will be a nice basic car to drive with a few modern concessions so just a couple of more recent pics.Have fitted swing pedals and altered dash,thats about it apart from rust repaire.
Attachments
DSCF2394.JPG
jimmy-d

Postby BrianHawley » Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:26 pm

I'm dying to know what's with the dash.

What's the plan?
Brian

"Jodie". '67 Traveller, 1275, discs, van wheels, vert shocks, arb etc.
BrianHawley

Awards: 2
Contributions 2017 (1) Contributions 2018 (1)

Saudi Arabia (sa)

Postby Custard » Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:40 pm

One of my younger brothers would approve.

When I got my first moggy he threatened to get a Beetle just to wind me up.

Sean.
Custard

Awards: 5
Contributions 2012 (1) Contributions 2013 (1) Contributions 2016 (1) Contributions 2017 (1) Contributions 2018 (1)

Ireland (ie)

Postby BrianHawley » Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:38 am

Custard wrote:One of my younger brothers would approve.

When I got my first moggy he threatened to get a Beetle just to wind me up.

Sean.

You could have met in the middle:

[URL]http://www.volksrods.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15957
[/URL]
Brian

BrianHawley

Saudi Arabia (sa)

Postby jimmy-d » Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:38 am

Hi there,just to confirm Brian,yes it is a dash from a VW bug! I have mounted it forward of the original morris dash and brought the speedo dome out to meet it.The original structure of the morris dash is unchanged behind this which makes it easier for me because here in Aus our build regulations are so strict that almost any departure from original requires engineering inspection and approval before rego so by not damaging the original dash I have avoided this necessity so far. I might even get away with my swing pedal conversion also because everything has basically been built over the top of the original construction.
This car is just to be built as a comfortable,legal,run-about/cruiser so my concentration on this project will be more about appearance than mechanical muscle,as long as I can keep up with traffic and stop quickly when I need to but as said,this project is second to Christine,my pickup that I have been building for many years and need to get on and finish because the enthusiasm is waning as I want to get on with this car.
Thanks foe your interest,regards Pete
jimmy-d

Postby BrianHawley » Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:23 pm

Sounds interesting Pete.

Looking forward to seeing the progress.

We do have a bit more flexibility here in the U.K. fortunately
Brian

BrianHawley

Saudi Arabia (sa)

Postby jimmy-d » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:33 am

I decided not to proceed with the VW dash with this particular car,will put it aside for one of my next projects,decided that to get this on the road I needed to not waste to much time trying to mess around with modifications,maybe once on the road I may reconsider.
jimmy-d

Postby BrianHawley » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:34 am

Brian

BrianHawley

Saudi Arabia (sa)

Postby jimmy-d » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:17 am

Hi again,not a lot happening with this one,as I mentioned in christines most recent post,I am trying to decide whether to continue with this or not and even though I have almost everything necessary,Im not sure yet if I have the inclination to commit to another project,even though it would be a lot more straight forward. I have all the necessary panels,a choice of 2 engines,a 950 or a Datsun 1200,have all the other parts needed like trunnions,corolla disc brakes,a booster from a corolla ke30,a ford laser steering colomb,electrics and gauges etc etc so apart from some very minor rust repair everything is almost bolt on and go BUT its still more time and more money and still have to finish off christine so I am questioning my commitment. Anyway,as things progress or decisions made I will post it here.
jimmy-d

Postby jimmy-d » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:37 am

Hi all,so just to be official,the Hobo is dead. I have passed on its remains to others and am done with it,still working on Christine though.
jimmy-d

Return to Long-term Projects & Showroom