Front O/S Shock Absorber

Rebuilding, adjusting, maintaining & alternatives

Front O/S Shock Absorber

Postby Alchemist » Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:42 am

Hi Guys, Have just spent a frustrating hour trying to remove my front O/S Shock Absorber as I have evidence of fluid trickling down the inner wing but nothing apparent on the shock absorber itself (?) Have managed to remove the four securing bolts the problem is separating the arm from the kingpin. Do I need a special tool for this? , The Haynes manual makes this whole process sound really simple and straight forward (as is their usual way).. Any suggestions would be gratefully received.... ;)
"In twenty years from now it will be the things that you didn't do that you will regret the most" Mark Twain.
Alchemist

England (en) UK Kent (.i)

Re: Front O/S Shock Absorber

Postby 200272 » Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:15 pm

A big hammer, SWEARING MODERATED the tube section of the arm not the thread!!! It’ll shock it free.
Or I have removed the bush side before and wiggled it out.

I’ve changed them a few times as they always bloody leak after a few years!!! I don’t know why....
The Bean: 1972 2002tii (ish), 5speed E21 O/D, 6 series Recaro interior.
Green Bean V8 M60 conversion

Sideways!

Postby Alchemist » Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:40 pm

Thanks all done however it was a Bas***d of a job getting it back on, (access to bottom inner bolt was a nightmare not having (a) whitworth sockets (though a 9/16 AF just about did it) and (b) a long enough extension bar for my socket set. The sad thing is it has shown up how bad the other side is now so have the dubious pleasure of doing that one now.
"In twenty years from now it will be the things that you didn't do that you will regret the most" Mark Twain.
Alchemist

England (en) UK Kent (.i)

Postby don58van » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:57 pm

Be careful not to overfill with oil. There must be an air gap in the reservoir, otherwise there is a strong risk of inducing a leak. The factory workshop manual has the details.

Don
don58van

Return to Suspension, Steering & Brakes