"Soft" brake linings

Rebuilding, adjusting, maintaining & alternatives

"Soft" brake linings

Postby Ed1949 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:32 am

Just bought myself a 1968 saloon as a retirement present. I owned a sequence of Minors in the sixties & seventies ranging from a 1949 918cc MM onwards, so I have some experience with these cars. My "new" car had new drums & linings fitted by the previous owner. Braking performance is disappointing (I know - it was never exactly stunning!) and needs great effort, definitely inferior even to the early MM. Brakes are well-balanced, no pulling to one side. I suspect hard brake linings. Does anyone have experience of specifying soft linings to provide more bite? And where to obtain them?
Thanks.
Ed1949
New Poster

United Kingdom (uk) UK Wales (.l)

Re: "Soft" brake linings

Postby woodywoodchipper » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:21 pm

try roughing yours up with emery cloth, they have probably got glazed up, if this don't work change them, use Ferodo, not cheap chinese copies,

When its done its done (for now)
Derv Turbo Power (Joosed)
woodywoodchipper

Awards: 7
Contributions 2011 (1) Contributions 2012 (1) Contributions 2013 (1) Contributions 2015 (1) Contributions 2016 (1)
Contributions 2017 (1) Contributions 2018 (1)

United Kingdom (uk) UK Lancashire (lk)

Postby Plin » Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:05 pm

:D Sorry no help on your brake issue - but welcome to the forum!
Plin

Awards: 10
Contributions 2011 (1) Contributions 2012 (1) Contributions 2013 (1) Contributions 2014 (1) Contributions 2015 (1)
Contributions 2016 (1) Contributions 2017 (1) Contributions 2018 (1) MMO Annual Award 2016 (1) MMO Top Tester (1)

Postby geezer » Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:08 pm

Ed,

I was suffering the same issue with the brakes on my 67 Morris Minor. I tried several solutions and none were satisfactory. I finally converted to disc brakes. Much better for today's traffic. Here's a link to a discussion on disc brakes.

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=10592

Ed1949 wrote:Just bought myself a 1968 saloon as a retirement present. I owned a sequence of Minors in the sixties & seventies ranging from a 1949 918cc MM onwards, so I have some experience with these cars. My "new" car had new drums & linings fitted by the previous owner. Braking performance is disappointing (I know - it was never exactly stunning!) and needs great effort, definitely inferior even to the early MM. Brakes are well-balanced, no pulling to one side. I suspect hard brake linings. Does anyone have experience of specifying soft linings to provide more bite? And where to obtain them?
Thanks.
Give an Englishman a car and he'll make it leak
geezer

United States (us) US Mississippi (ft)

Postby old english white » Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:33 am

There is no doubt that a disc brake conversion will result in improved brakes but, in my opinion it is a quite unnecessary expense on a standard car in normal driving. I have standard brakes on my Minor and, in good condition, find them perfectly adequate for our needs which include all types of driving. There have indeed been some cheap and nasty brake shoes on the market and if these are fitted the brakes may well seem poor. I would contact a reliable supplier and purchase the most expensive branded shoes you can get - I think I fitted Mintex shoes supplied by ESM to my car last time.
old english white

Postby machineman1 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:02 am

You can improve the brakes by fitting a brake booster . This is a simple conversion compared to disk brakes & improves braking with less effort .
machineman1

New Zealand (nz)

Postby old english white » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:15 am

I wouldn't say that fitting a booster/servo can "improve the brakes" as such. All it can do surely is to reduce the effort required in applying them which some people will find makes driving the car a little easier.
old english white

Postby 53 Tudor » Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:38 am

When I did my brakes I had new linings for front (9" Major) brakes bonded to old shoes and radiused to suit drums.
New 7" rear drums and shoes of unknown quality. Reckon the suggestion of Mintex shoes good idea.
My Master Cylinder was not leaking externally, but pitted and leaking back internally.
A new one certainly made a difference, I think the booster suffered the same, so was replaced.

The brakes went from having about the last inch of travel working the brakes,
to having a solid pedal not far after the free-play is taken up.
Might slam some better rear shoes on.

Cheers.
53 Tudor

Australia (au) AUS Victoria (p.)

Return to Suspension, Steering & Brakes