Routing brake pipes (with servo)

Rebuilding, adjusting, maintaining & alternatives

Routing brake pipes (with servo)

Postby GraemeT » Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:23 pm

Me again
Thought I'd split this off from my other plea for help on the pedal shaft.

Got under the car today and the brake pipe routing is &*()(!! awful - let's just say that the pipe that rubs against the clutch lever every time you change gear is pretty typical. This car has servo in the front RH engine bay, the splitter is near there and the pipe routing/clipping is a bit dire.

My understanding is that the original MM clips were simple strips of mild steel tack welded to the chassis and then pushed over the (steel??) pipes to hold them.

I'm going to redo a fair few of the copper pipes that are now on there (using kunifer/cunifer) so the questions here are :

Has anybody got a 'to die for' diagram for pipe routing?

How to clip the pipes to the chassis/body? My previous goes at this suggest that drilling and then fitting a clip just ends up with a rust hole in 3 -4 years time - I'm happy to weld on little steel bendover thingies - but has anybody got a quicker and long lived suggestion?

Thanks

Graeme
1955 Split Screen Saloon with later 1098 engine & type 9 gearbox
a rolling r********
GraemeT

Wales (wl) UK Scotland (.j)

Re: Routing brake pipes (with servo)

Postby ruairidh » Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:17 pm

Use the diagram in the manual and try using p clips I think they are called for trailer cable and use rubber hose as an anti rattle.
Be all you can be
ruairidh

Awards: 3
Contributions 2012 (1) Contributions 2013 (1) MMO Annual Award 2018 (1)

Scotland (sf) UK Northern Ireland (ek)

Re: Routing brake pipes (with servo)

Postby GraemeT » Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:03 pm

Hi - P clips aplenty here with lovely rubber inserts to hold pipe (someplace in the mess that is my store I have some nylon ones left over from my Land Rover days so I'll see if I can dig those out). I have the pdf of the manual (never thought of that) and the routing picture there is ideal - thanks for the prod.

Trouble I have at the moment is that there's a feed from MC to servo and then back from the splitter to the rear end that both just push out from below the oil filter ans then hang below the chassis member until they hook up over the clutch mechanism - there's at least one place where I think there's a bleed due to rubbing on the clutch lever. There's not a single clip in that length of pipe until after the centre cross member - not sure who fitted those!

I have (between showers) today discovered a remote feed pipe fitted to the M/C that is just lacking a reservoir? Weird.

Graeme
1955 Split Screen Saloon with later 1098 engine & type 9 gearbox
a rolling r********
GraemeT

Wales (wl) UK Scotland (.j)

Return to Suspension, Steering & Brakes