Front Brakes Dragging

Rebuilding, adjusting, maintaining & alternatives

Front Brakes Dragging

Postby Jefftav » Mon May 29, 2017 10:24 pm

Hi All,

I have Marina disks and marina rear axle fitted to my Morris Minor. Lately the front brakes have been heating up causing the front calipers to seize onto the disk.The rear drums work just fine and are correctly adjusted. The top hat seal was removed at initial installation, the brake pedal is adjusted properly, the spring is still fitted between the pedal and chassis leg and the pedal shaft moves freely.

I have replaced the calipers, and all brake lines except for the line from the remote reservoir however the problem is still happening. So I am left with the brake master cylinder to replace and/or the pipe from the remote reservoir. I think the MC must be sticking and not releasing the pressure off of the front disks would this seem correct? Either this or the pipe to the remote reservoir is not holding pressure?

Have I missed something obvious or should I just bite the bullet and replace the MC and the pipe to the reservoir?

Thanks Jefftav.
Jefftav

Re: Front Brakes Dragging

Postby old english white » Tue May 30, 2017 6:27 am

How old are the flexible hoses? Could they have perished and swollen up inside? This can happen and they then act like a valve and hold the brakes on so maybe worth checking before you replace the master cylinder?
old english white

Postby Roger46 » Tue May 30, 2017 8:26 am

The hoses are more likely than the master cylinder I think because the master cylinder would surely affect the rear brakes as well.
The older i get the better I was !

Any fool can learn by his own mistakes, a wise man lets the snake bite the other fellow!

LCV (6cwt van) Royal Mail red, classic (1972) Mini - speedwell blue
Roger46

United Kingdom (uk)

Postby Panky » Tue May 30, 2017 8:54 am

Have you got a servo fitted? If the air valve is passing then the brake will come on by themselves.
Panky

United Kingdom (uk) UK England (.g)

Postby Jefftav » Tue May 30, 2017 5:47 pm

Thanks for the input. I don't have a servo fitted and I have replaced every flexi hose and brake pipe. Not sure if the hose from the MC to the remote reservoir could cause this but will have to replace it.

Thanks again, Jefftav
Jefftav

Postby emjay » Wed May 31, 2017 3:00 pm

Are both calipers hot? How soon until they are fully retracted? On jack stands try to recreate it and then open the bleeder to confirm it's residual pressure. Close and repeat now crack open the next joint up stream until you find one that does not relieve the pressure. If both are hot you could probably start at the point where the left and right branches start.
emjay

Return to Suspension, Steering & Brakes