Disc brake conversion

Rebuilding, adjusting, maintaining & alternatives

Disc brake conversion

Postby MogDJ » Sun May 21, 2017 11:20 am

Well, after nearly a year away from the Pick up restoration, I now have the time to carry on and hopefully get it finished. As part of this, I'm considering a disc brake conversion for it, and been looking at various options ( and prices!!) which would allow me to use the standard minor PCD, as I don't want to change the rear axle.
I've seen a conversion called "grumpy", does anyone have any experience of these and any feedback, or is there a different set that's worth considering.
Many thanks.
MogDJ

United Kingdom (uk)

Re: Disc brake conversion

Postby woodywoodchipper » Sun May 21, 2017 4:38 pm

Think you will find the (grunpys) kit is the same as the kit from ESM using Marina parts but a modified hub for minor wheels, a perfectly good kit,

if you can find some Marina front ends with all the bits, all you need to change is the hub again from ESM making a cheaper option, ;)

Alan,

When its done its done (for now)
Derv Turbo Power (Joosed)
woodywoodchipper

Awards: 7
Contributions 2011 (1) Contributions 2012 (1) Contributions 2013 (1) Contributions 2015 (1) Contributions 2016 (1)
Contributions 2017 (1) Contributions 2018 (1)

United Kingdom (uk) UK Lancashire (lk)

Postby Nourish » Sun May 21, 2017 7:39 pm

Is it not just a matter of re-drilling maybe some Ford discs, boring out the centers to fit over the Minor hubs and making up brackets for the calipers?
Nourish

Awards: 2
Contributions 2016 (1) Contributions 2018 (1)

England (en)

Postby geezer » Mon May 22, 2017 12:43 pm

If you are a FYI guy, there is a simple conversion using Nissan brake parts and Midget front hubs. PDC remains the same, no wheel spacers, and the brake parts are modern and inexpensive. The caliper brackets are simple and easy to make and the rotors require minor machining. Gerards Garage can supply the brackets or I have the plans to make the brackets. Send me an e-mail and I will send more information.

http://www.gerardsgarage.com

durningcharles@gmail.com

And if you are so inclined there is a simple FYI rear disc conversion using Nissan parts.

https://www.creativespridgets.com

Front disc brakes are very effective, 4 wheel disc brakes will bring the Morris up to modern standards.
Give an Englishman a car and he'll make it leak
geezer

United States (us) US Mississippi (ft)

Postby nrm69 » Mon May 22, 2017 7:37 pm

I'm midway through fitting the ESM kit to my Traveller, doing front suspension bushes at same time.
ESM kit is Marina based but uses a new steel hub with taper bearings and a new redesigned Marina calliper. Instructions aren't the best with some important bits cut off or missing, someone suggested I get a Marina workshop manual to help with missing info- like the torque setting for bolting discs to hub. I also found the supplied bearings wouldn't fit the stub axle and ended up buying SKF bearing locally which fit much better. Other than those problems the quality seems good
For the master cylinder and remote reservoir I used JLH parts instead of ESM as his kit uses a copper pipe and not the notorious weeping plastic hose.
Alternative Ford based vented disc kit is available from JLH and seems to have good reviews but I felt vented discs were a bit much with a standard engine.
I have posted a few pics on MMOC forum showing progress.
Should be out in the garage now doing some more work really but not got the enthusiasm today.
nrm69

Postby MogDJ » Sat May 27, 2017 6:59 pm

Many thanks for your help and advice guys, it is much appreciated. I think I'll go for the grumpy kit as I haven't the time to make the bits myself at this moment.
I'll keep you updated on progress.
MogDJ

United Kingdom (uk)

Return to Suspension, Steering & Brakes