Break servo? Good/Too Good?

Rebuilding, adjusting, maintaining & alternatives

Break servo? Good/Too Good?

Postby wren1710 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:39 am

Hello all,
I'm thinking about up rating my breaks with disc's (which I have already to fit, just need a remote reservoir apparently) and I have been wondering about adding a servo, BUT...I have two worries;

1 I'm worried it would be too much for the wheels on a morris 1000 and lock them up/skid, which can be worse than have too little breaking, especially as I've looked and there is just no way to add ABS.
2 Its another £200+, not that I'm baulking at the price of safety but if I can save the cost why not.

So what do people think? Anyone have a servo and disk conversion on there moggy?
Image Image
wren1710

Awards: 2
Contributions 2012 (1) Contributions 2017 (1)

Great Britain (GB)

Re: Break servo? Good/Too Good?

Postby Panky » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:58 am

Loads of people have fitted servos to make braking easier - but that's all it does. It wont make you stop any quicker just, as you pointed out, make it easier to lock up the wheel - which can be done with the standard drum brakes it you try hard enough. The only way to get extra stopping power is to get more rubber on the road with wider wheels and tyres, which you may already have if you've got the slightly wider van wheels.
Panky

United Kingdom (uk) UK England (.g)

Postby Sleeper » Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:59 pm

No way to add ABS ?

DSC02045.JPG

John
Sleeper

Great Britain (GB)

Postby jonathon H » Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:18 pm

What does that use to recognise a slipping or unbraked wheel, or locked brakes.
Personally I feel one gets a much better feel with a servo on disc brakes, others think not........ but they are wrong ;) :lol:
JLH MINOR RESTORATION LTD
www.jlhmorrisminors.co.uk
jonathon H
Tuning Wizard

Awards: 3
Contributions 2011 (1) Contributions 2012 (1) MMO Annual Award Winner (1)

Postby wren1710 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:11 pm

OK sleeper, you've got my interest, how'd you do it :?:
Image Image
wren1710

Awards: 2
Contributions 2012 (1) Contributions 2017 (1)

Great Britain (GB)

Postby Custard » Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:45 pm

Don't forget there is a little more plumbing to do if you are going to add the servo properly to all 4 wheels.

It s not just a case of a couple of extra pipes in the engine bay. (obviously Sleeper has completely re-plumbed his for ABS)

Also the remote reservoir is not a necessity with disc brakes, and equally you can have one with drums all round, it just makes keeping an eye on the fluid level easier.

It doesn't compensate for bigger pistons in the calipers etc, as you get the same shot of fluid from the lower portion of the master cylinder as you always did.

Servo feel is a personal taste, I have driven quite a few cars without. In the late 70s early 80s you still could get base models without servos. Some add on's were a bit light for my liking and other cars were far better with them. My kit car was fine with Cortina brakes without and the Minor is with discs and JLH wheels. I can heel and toe great, if it was too light it is much harder to brake more gentle while blipping the throttle.

For normal use especially if you switch between a Modern and a Minor a lot and drive round town I would fit it, I had ones on my previous cars and traveller when they were my only vehicle, the current one is a hobby.

Sean.
Custard

Awards: 5
Contributions 2012 (1) Contributions 2013 (1) Contributions 2016 (1) Contributions 2017 (1) Contributions 2018 (1)

Ireland (ie)

Postby Sleeper » Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:38 pm

wren1710 wrote:OK sleeper, you've got my interest, how'd you do it :?:

Well,the donor Zetec engine was from a Focus,which had ABS,the master cylinder is plumbed via the servo through the ABS unit to all four wheels,the sensors ( yet to be wired ) will pick up on castellations on the font discs/rear drums,and hopefully that's it...
The last time I did a graft like this was fifteen years ago from a donor Renault Turbo onto a Lotus Elan Plus2 .

John ;)
Sleeper

Great Britain (GB)

Return to Suspension, Steering & Brakes