suspension help & advice needed

Rebuilding, adjusting, maintaining & alternatives

suspension help & advice needed

Postby Bertie » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:21 pm

Yahoo. I have put a deposit on a traveller. It has the original suspension. I have not driven the car so can not comment on handling or lack off it. I know there are various threads & companies like Ware & JLH advertising parts. But you are the people who own & drive these cars, so i would value your comments & advice. I can service the original items or upgrade. I would prefer to upgrade but to what ? Road holding & cornering would be nice. Some kits say some welding required err how much is some. I have only seen one Moggie with hydraulic suspension & that was at 45 degrees going inboard. Looked strange to me. So i dont mind spending money but i hate the 20% vat. I am retired with no limited company so vat is a swear word. Rant over. So if you can give me some hits or tips as to what works on a traveller i can get my shopping list sorted. You may know the answer & have a sneaky photo to show me the way. I dont mind getting a company to do the work as long as its better than original & not just a sales pitch. One of you will have the perfect solution for a Moggie flying through the Dales. One day my dream will come true.
Bertie

England (en) UK Yorkshire (eu)

Re: suspension help & advice needed

Postby Panky » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:28 pm

The best upgrade you can do to standard suspension is to replace the old oil in the dampers with SAE30 or SAE40, cost about £8 for a litre of oil and it will do the job about four times over :D The difference is quite remarkable and the new oil combined with poly bushes throughout will transform the handling.
Panky

United Kingdom (uk) UK England (.g)

Postby emjay » Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:34 pm

You should drive it first and determine if it is lacking in anything important to your intended usage. You may find that the poly bushes and shock oil may be just what you need. Unless you are planning some competition events, it's unlikely you'll want anything else.
emjay

Postby plastic orange » Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:38 pm

Speak to Jonathon at JLH. His kits are tried and tested, and he can fit them as well. Perhaps not the cheapest, but you get what you pay for.
New heavier oil does work, and along with poly bushing and making sure everything is tight and suspension is in good nick should see you in the right direction. Just add wider wheels and tyres to suit, and along with a disc conversion should make you happy.

PO
Undefeated best Orange Hawaiian award Pateley Bridge 5 years in a row.
plastic orange

Awards: 9
Contributions 2011 (1) Contributions 2012 (1) Contributions 2013 (1) Contributions 2014 (1) Contributions 2015 (1)
Contributions 2016 (1) Contributions 2017 (1) Contributions 2018 (1) Members Choice Award (1)

Scotland (sf) UK Scotland (.j)

Postby Bertie » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:50 pm

Thanks for the replies. I take on board the comments about oil & poly bushes. One reason for asking is that poly bushes come in different hardness & i have seen green & pink kits but with no hardness reference & i assumed the colour difference was due to the hardness. Too soft or to hard or just right. What is the differnce between the kits. I see ESM due refurbished dampers, one being uprated by 25% has any one tried these. I should have noted the tyre size & type as fitted but due to the unknow age i assumed i would have to change them. I know their is some thing on the tyre that should let you the age but coming from motor bikes means a tyre change.
I know this is not on this thread but i would like alloys & modern tyres. What options if any do i have. Marina disc conversion is in hand or should i have gone ford.
I need to crawl, walk then run. Get things up & running then seats, trim, mirrors, vanity mirror for you know who. Her priority is that no musty smell will be tolorated. How about oil, jizer & a smelly thing on the mirror.
Bertie

England (en) UK Yorkshire (eu)

Postby Custard » Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:18 pm

Hi and welcome.

It is not a musty smell, it is part of a Minors character :D , I think it is the filling they used in the seats/the plastic covering and the sound deadening (yes there is some if it has not been removed) under the dash around the back of the battery tray.

Wait till it is baked in the sun with the windows shut.

Sean.
Custard

Awards: 5
Contributions 2012 (1) Contributions 2013 (1) Contributions 2016 (1) Contributions 2017 (1) Contributions 2018 (1)

Ireland (ie)

Postby woodywoodchipper » Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:46 pm

marina kits are the simplest and work very well, and still probably the cheapest,

When its done its done (for now)
Derv Turbo Power (Joosed)
woodywoodchipper

Awards: 7
Contributions 2011 (1) Contributions 2012 (1) Contributions 2013 (1) Contributions 2015 (1) Contributions 2016 (1)
Contributions 2017 (1) Contributions 2018 (1)

United Kingdom (uk) UK Lancashire (lk)

Return to Suspension, Steering & Brakes