Rear brake calliper

Rebuilding, adjusting, maintaining & alternatives

Rear brake calliper

Postby PeterFin » Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:27 pm

Can anyone please help ? I have replaced the hub bearing etc and replaced the wheel cylinder. The hub however hits the wheel cylinder as it turns. The new cylinder to the eye seems slightly 'fatter' than the old one removed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PeterFin
New Poster

United Kingdom (uk) UK Essex (.m)

Re: Rear brake calliper

Postby Custard » Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:38 pm

Any pictures?

It is a minor wheel cylinder and fits in the backplate properly?

If it is fatter it could be the wrong part, could be worth asking the supplier to double check.

Are there any numbers on it and the one that was removed?

Sean.
Custard

Awards: 4
Contributions 2012 (1) Contributions 2013 (1) Contributions 2016 (1) Contributions 2017 (1)

Ireland (ie)

Postby The vast minority » Sat Dec 17, 2016 5:10 am

Welcome.
To help in your learning, you are dealing with a drum brake and this doesn't have a calliper. Drum brakes have a drum and brake shoes that are pushed out to interact with the inside of the spinning drum to provide braking.

A calliper will be found in a disk brake and operates the "pads" from either side of the disk to provide the braking. Disk brakes are much better than drum brakes generally.

As suggested above, something is either bigger or out of place. Post a couple of pics if poss and we will sort you out.
Al
The vast minority

Contributions 2014 (1) Contributions 2015 (1) Contributions 2016 (1) Contributions 2017 (1)

United Kingdom (uk)

Postby PeterFin » Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:02 am

Photo attached. I have spoken to the supplier Bull Motif who assures me there has never been a problem before !

PeterFin
New Poster

Postby cardiffrob » Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:25 pm

Just wondering if you have the bearing sticking out too far? Might be that the steel outer of the oil inboard seal is still in place when the new seal went in. The bearing should protrude above the flat surface of the hub by approximately 10 thou (half a thumbnail thickness) if the bearing is sitting correctly.

Rob
cardiffrob

Postby MM » Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:12 pm

The back ones are designed to slide, to have a single slave cylinder pushing both brake shoes, up and down - is it sliding up and down OK?
Maurice, Kent.
1970 Trafalgar Blue Traveller

http://retrorides.proboards.com/index.c ... read=37056
MM

Postby Rick1963 » Sat Dec 17, 2016 5:34 pm

The cylinder looks to me to be not fitted correctly, it should sit in the slot in the backplate which keeps it captive and allows it to slide up and down.You can see the grooves that sit into the backplate in the photo. It looks like the only thing holding the cylinder in is the brake shoes.
Sometimes the cylinders are difficult to get into the slot and they have to be forced in.
Rick1963

Great Britain (GB)

Postby Custard » Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:35 pm

I agree that one does not look to have gone in far enough, but they should not have to be forced in.

There is a knack to it, rotate the hub so that the thicker part is out of the way and one end goes in and you slide it up and then the other end slots in.

You may have to sand some paint off if they have just been painted, or rust on an old one just to clean both the sides of the slot and the front and rear of the backplate just a couple of mm where the cylinder will slide. I use a small amount of copper grease as much to try and stop rust as to lubricate. Before the shoes are fitted it should move up and down in the slot quite easily. In use one shoe will tend to hit the drum before the other and the movement then allows it to slide and centre so both shoes hit the drum equally. One then works harder and wears more as one is a leading shoe and the other a trailing one.

Also if it does not slide properly you will have issues with the handbrake, which actually has to be better than a modern car for the MOT.

If they are pattern parts you may have to smooth off a casting flash but I have never had any trouble fitting Lockheed Girling ones.

Sean.
Custard

Contributions 2012 (1) Contributions 2013 (1) Contributions 2016 (1) Contributions 2017 (1)

Ireland (ie)

Postby PeterFin » Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:13 am

Thanks for all your help. I have refitted the old cylinders and they are perfect so I can only conclude the new ones are wrong. I'll speak to the supplier tomorrow.

PeterFin
New Poster

Postby Plin » Sun Dec 18, 2016 5:35 pm

Glad you found the old ones were ok so you know you weren't seeing things when then new ones were not behaving. Hope you get a suitable outcome from the suppliers - in the meantime welcome to the forum :D !
Plin

Awards: 9
Contributions 2011 (1) Contributions 2012 (1) Contributions 2013 (1) Contributions 2014 (1) Contributions 2015 (1)
Contributions 2016 (1) Contributions 2017 (1) MMO Annual Award 2016 (1) MMO Top Tester (1)

Return to Suspension, Steering & Brakes