Adjusting toe in

Rebuilding, adjusting, maintaining & alternatives
bumpy
Great Britain

Adjusting toe in

Post by bumpy »

I have a shrewd idea how to do this job but just need a bit of knowledge.

Having undone the locking nut on the tie rod end its time to rotate the tie rod in or out. But this looks as if it will wind up the rubber gaiter, so do I need to slacken off the gaiter rubber clamp?

Thanks

Morris Minor 2 door saloon May 1963 in dove grey. 83,000 on original engine. Known as Moggy Moo.
Heated front and rear screens, disc brakes on front, heater, radio, refitted interior including new seats, electronic ignition.

Custard
Ireland

Contribution Stars

Re: Adjusting toe in

Post by Custard »

Yes you normally do.

Occasional if it has been greased it will slide if you hold the clamp, but I would always loosen the gaiter clamp if it will easily loosen.

If it won't then I would see if it will spin before I started cutting off a clamp.

Sean.

bumpy
Great Britain

Post by bumpy »

Custard wrote:
1 month ago
Yes you normally do.

Occasional if it has been greased it will slide if you hold the clamp, but I would always loosen the gaiter clamp if it will easily loosen.

If it won't then I would see if it will spin before I started cutting off a clamp.

Sean.
Thanks Sean

The clamp on my gaiter is a plastic grip tie, so will have to cut that off if there is no movement. Seems to work, so not sure if its a bodge or not :)

Morris Minor 2 door saloon May 1963 in dove grey. 83,000 on original engine. Known as Moggy Moo.
Heated front and rear screens, disc brakes on front, heater, radio, refitted interior including new seats, electronic ignition.

Custard
Ireland

Contribution Stars

Post by Custard »

Other than it being like the pozidriv screw in the furniture on the antiques road show.

Both invented after the original article. So you wont win any concours :D

I cant see any problem using a zip tie, does the job, wont rust.

Its a bit different on a CV joint on a driveshaft as that spins at speed and twists with the steering.

In comparison the rack has an easy life mainly just moving in and out like an accordion, plus a little angular deflection.

Sean.

bumpy
Great Britain

Post by bumpy »

Custard wrote:
1 month ago
Other than it being like the pozidriv screw in the furniture on the antiques road show.

Both invented after the original article. So you wont win any concours :D

I cant see any problem using a zip tie, does the job, wont rust.

Its a bit different on a CV joint on a driveshaft as that spins at speed and twists with the steering.

In comparison the rack has an easy life mainly just moving in and out like an accordion, plus a little angular deflection.

Sean.
Thanks Sean that's reassuring. I had the same problem of poor tracking on a Moggy I had years ago. I have not had this car long but both front tyres are feathering on the outer two treads (toeing in too far) and will need replacing earlier than normal. Adjusting the tracking evenly on both sides sorted out the problem before.

Panky
United Kingdom

Contribution Stars

Post by Panky »

A little squirt of WD40 will lubricate the track rod enough for it to twist without taking the rubber boot with it.

Ted the 1971 Bermuda Blue Traveller
'91 Mini Cooper
1971 Commer Auto-Sleeper
!969 Commer Jennings Roadranger

bumpy
Great Britain

Post by bumpy »

Next problem is I cant loosen either lock nut on the swivel joints despite drenching them in Plus Gas.

At present I am using two spanners, one on the locknut and one on the flats of the track rod. I could get much more leverage on the lock nut if I allowed the swivel knuckle to travel to its full extreme and just levered against that, using the one spanner.

BUT can the swivel joint take this abuse or am I liable to damage it?

I have resisted heat as the swivel knuckle has a rubber boot.

Custard
Ireland

Contribution Stars

Post by Custard »

Yes unfortunately you could damage it.

I reserve that method for when I know I have to replace it.

Is there any way you can get the spanner on the track rod end wedged against something solid like an axle stand.

In extreme situations I have had to use Stilsons on the arm and wind the locknut off against that, but you may have to tidy up the arm afterwards.

Once not on a Morris I actually had to take the rack off, put it in a vice and use heat, but we had committed to replacing the ball joints at that point and it still took two.

If you have grease nipples, you can undo the swivel and remove the rubber boot then loosely refit for a bit of stability and use heat, because you can regrease them afterwards.

If its just paint then you could wrap a wet cloth round the swivel and burn the paint of the locknut as you wouldn't be getting it all too hot. Once paint is soft with heat it will wire brush off quite well.

Sean.

bumpy
Great Britain

Post by bumpy »

Custard wrote:
1 month ago
Yes unfortunately you could damage it.

I reserve that method for when I know I have to replace it.

Is there any way you can get the spanner on the track rod end wedged against something solid like an axle stand.

In extreme situations I have had to use Stilsons on the arm and wind the locknut off against that, but you may have to tidy up the arm afterwards.

Once not on a Morris I actually had to take the rack off, put it in a vice and use heat, but we had committed to replacing the ball joints at that point and it still took two.

If you have grease nipples, you can undo the swivel and remove the rubber boot then loosely refit for a bit of stability and use heat, because you can regrease them afterwards.

If its just paint then you could wrap a wet cloth round the swivel and burn the paint of the locknut as you wouldn't be getting it all too hot. Once paint is soft with heat it will wire brush off quite well.

Sean.
Thanks Sean

I have already cleaned up the lock nut etc with a wire brush, so it looks like its a bit more Plus Gas then some heat with a wet rag rapped around the swivel and some more brute force. I like the idea of supporting the track rod spanner on an axle stand. For today I will just squirt more Plus Gas - that kicks the can down the road for a few days :)

Custard
Ireland

Contribution Stars

Post by Custard »

Just keep an eye on the spanner.

If you relax pressure it can move and you don't want it to slip sideways.

I would wear thick gloves too in case the one you are holding moves punching the inner wing or the floor hurts.

Sean.