Master cylinder bolts and torsion bar

Rebuilding, adjusting, maintaining & alternatives
Adrian Hill
New Poster
Great Britain

Master cylinder bolts and torsion bar

Post by Adrian Hill »

I removed the master cylinder bolts yesterday, encountering the usual issue with the front suspension torsion bar. This site is such a helpful resource that I thought I'd post what I found out while doing it.

I found the following pages very useful:

http://www.christran.net/mmbrakes.htm

https://www.dsnclassics.co.uk/technical-tips/minor-tech-tips/master-cylinder-removal/

In the end, I tied a plank to the torsion bar, so that one end was held in the air, the other in the ground. I then put a trolley jack on the plank and slowly jacked the plank down and away from the car, pulling the torsion bar down with it. See attached image (much better than my explanation).

I hope this is helpful to other people reading this forum. I'm happy for people to criticise or correct this post, in case this method is unadvisable.
Attachments
IMG-20210330-WA0012.jpg
IMG-20210330-WA0012.jpg (255.59 KiB) Viewed 68 times
IMG-20210330-WA0012.jpg

Custard
Ireland

Contribution Stars

Re: Master cylinder bolts and torsion bar

Post by Custard »

Hi and welcome.

It works if you have a good solid floor.

I think I would rather find some way of prising off the chassis.

You probably could push the jack further in to do that.

I have seen a clamp that although it looks like it is pressing off the floor is actually pressing off the lip on the chassis where it is welded to the floor.

Someone also told me they had done it with two opposing wooden wedges one facing forward and the other facing aft so when they were tapped together they moved it.

At least you got the job done.

Sean.

Plin
United Kingdom

Contribution Stars

MMO Annual Award

Misc

Post by Plin »

:D Welcome to the forum Adrian - nice first post sharing your ideas.

Adrian Hill
New Poster
Great Britain

Post by Adrian Hill »

Thank you for your replies and advice! I refitted the master cylinder yesterday, was able to reinsert the bolts using the same method to move the torsion bar. This time I put the jack closer to the chassis with the chassis lip taking some of the pressure 👍