Rear brake cylinders

Rebuilding, adjusting, maintaining & alternatives
moggiemanuk
United Kingdom

Contribution Stars

Rear brake cylinders

Post by moggiemanuk »

I've just started to rebuild all the brakes on my '58 4 door. I drained down the brake fluid today and have taken off one of the rear wheel cylinders. I was surprised I had to withdraw the half shaft to make space to pull the cylinder free - is that normal?

Behind the backplate there's a banjo bleed valve. Should there be a copper washer either side? I only had one on the cylinder side.
rear wheel cylinder.jpg
rear wheel cylinder.jpg (1.06 MiB) Viewed 37 times
rear wheel cylinder.jpg
EXIF-Data show/hide
Original image recording time:
2021:02:21 14:37:14
Image taken on:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:37 pm
Focus length:
3.99 mm
Shutter speed:
1/33 Sec
F-number:
f/1.8
ISO speed rating:
Whitebalance:
Auto
Flash:
Flash did not fire, auto mode
Camera-manufacturer:
Apple
Camera-model:
IPhone 8
Exposure program:
Normal program
Exposure bias:
0 EV
Metering mode:
Pattern

Mecanglais
Formally known as chesney
France

Contribution Stars

Re: Rear brake cylinders

Post by Mecanglais »

In my experience, a genuine wheel cylinder will fit with relative ease past the half shaft.

Pattern cylinders are noticeably bulkier, sometimes you can get away with it, sometimes not.

May be worth checking the references on the cylinder to see if they correlate but I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Custard
Ireland

Contribution Stars

Post by Custard »

A while since I have had mine off as I put new on shortly after I got the car.

I am fairly sure it should have two and if I remember correctly the part that goes through the banjo is wider than the thread so the two washers are actually different sizes.

I must have been lucky as I have never had to remove the halfshaft, though most of my experience was many years ago so all the replacements would have been genuine ones. I have removed the clip on plate the adjuster sits on and reattached it so between that and rotating the halfshaft just to avoid the strengthening webs they have not been too bad.

I presume you did remove the banjo bolt first rather than just disconnect the pipe?

I also find it helps when refitting to get the banjo and pipe started loosely in their threads before putting the clips back on.

Sean.

moggiemanuk
United Kingdom

Contribution Stars

Post by moggiemanuk »

Thanks for the replies. It wasn’t a problem to partially pull out the half shaft but I’ll replace the paper gasket now I’ve broken the seal.

Good call about the different sized washers. I hadn’t noticed that. The bolt through text banjo is stepped furthest from the wheel so will need a larger size. I’ve only got the smaller ones!

Custard
Ireland

Contribution Stars

Post by Custard »

AS copper compresses, I would be tempted to just get two new ones.

I think they should be the last two on this page, but double check measurements.

https://www.morrisminorspares.com/brake ... brakes-c50

Sean.