Traveller rear suspension advice needed

Rebuilding, adjusting, maintaining & alternatives
Sam1968
United Kingdom

Traveller rear suspension advice needed

Post by Sam1968 »

Hi, I've just replaced a rear spring but there's a few things I'm unsure about.
When I drained the dampers there were no tiny washers on the spring on the drain plug, missing both sides, is the washer important and should I try to get some, for now I've refilled and refitted them.
The front locating pin on the driver's side is flush with the plate but on the passenger side it sticks out 2-3mm and won't go any further in, should I take it apart and try again?
Thanks for any advice

Panky
United Kingdom

Re: Traveller rear suspension advice needed

Post by Panky »

Hi and welcome to the forum :D
I think the washers are to set the pressure of the valve by putting tension on the spring, but if there's no washers on either side and the dampers are working OK then I wouldn't be worried.
It could be that the shank of the pin has got caught on the inside of the spring hanger, 2 or 3 mm sounds about the thickness of the plate used to make them. I would remove the nut and make sure the pin is located properly, if it is then it could just be a manufacturing difference in the thickness of the head of the pin - did you renew it when you replaced the spring?

Ted the 1971 Bermuda Blue Traveller
'91 Mini Cooper
1971 Commer Auto-Sleeper
!969 Commer Jennings Roadranger

Sam1968
United Kingdom

Post by Sam1968 »

Thanks for the quick response. I'm not sure how well the dampers work, I recently got the car in need of some work so I've got to get it roadworthy before I can test it, hoping to enjoy driving it as I've never even been a passenger in one before. The dampers are smoother and stiffer than before I drained them so hoping they are ok.
I've just looked at the old locating pin and am sure you're right, I'd forgotten how much fatter the pin is than the threads

Sam1968
United Kingdom

Post by Sam1968 »

I've noticed that the sides of the front spring hanger seems to be bending in slightly rather than pulling the locating bolt into the plate which I think is why it isn't going in. Is the bolt supposed to be pushed all the way into the plate before tightening somehow or is tightening the nut supposed to pull the bolt into the plate?
The bolts and plates are new and the spring hangers look only a few years old with no rust.
Thanks

Panky
United Kingdom

Post by Panky »

I've got one of my rear springs off at the moment so I'll see what's what and take some pics.

'91 Mini Cooper
1971 Commer Auto-Sleeper

Sam1968
United Kingdom

Post by Sam1968 »

Thanks, I even removed it all and pressed the bolt all the way into the plate prior to fitting a second time to make sure it fitted and put a film of grease to try to make it slide in fully but it's still not going in while on the car.

Panky
United Kingdom

Post by Panky »

Here's the pin just pushed into position

and an original to compare with your new pin

Are you trying to put the pin in with the locking plate in position?

'91 Mini Cooper
1971 Commer Auto-Sleeper

Sam1968
United Kingdom

Post by Sam1968 »

Yes, I was trying to fit with the plate bolted to the spring hanger, is that wrong? I've read other people describe doing it that way and seen a video on YouTube doing it that way.
Had it apart again today, there was no way fitting the plate after would work.
In the end I pressed the plate onto the locating bolt then fitted the bolt and plate as 1 part and put the two little nuts on after, it now looks like it did before I started the job.

Panky
United Kingdom

Post by Panky »

The head of the pin must have been picking up on the plate, is everything OK now?

'91 Mini Cooper
1971 Commer Auto-Sleeper

Sam1968
United Kingdom

Post by Sam1968 »

The bolt was a crazy tight fit in the plate, but it all looks how it did before I took it apart and is tight now so I'm happy, it was a bit fiddly tightening the little bolt on the plate as there's no way to hold it while tightening the nut because the spring is in the way.
Just got to try and get the engine running properly now so I can have my first drive in a Morris minor

Panky
United Kingdom

Post by Panky »

Yep the little bolts are very fiddly, I'm thinking of putting a tack weld on the heads before I put the springs back on.

'91 Mini Cooper
1971 Commer Auto-Sleeper