Hand Brake Adjustment made easy (15 mins)

Rebuilding, adjusting, maintaining & alternatives
wren1710
United Kingdom

Contribution Stars

Hand Brake Adjustment made easy (15 mins)

Post by wren1710 »

The thing I have been dreading doing (balancing my hand brake) has turned out to be incredibly easy with one simple unmodified tool so I thought I'd share the secret:
SI858575.JPG
SI858575.JPG (215.37 KiB) Viewed 190 times
SI858575.JPG
An old torque wrench: all I had to do was jack one side up and set the handbrake to just above gentle biting, then fit the torque wrench to one of the wheel nuts like this with the wrench broadly lined up to the centre of the wheel as I could.
SI858574.JPG
SI858574.JPG (195.28 KiB) Viewed 190 times
SI858574.JPG
simply note the reading for when the wheel begins to move, then drop the car, jack up the other side and do the same adjusting the nut on the handbrake inside untill its in balance (not that I cared what i was measuring in, just so long as it read the same:)
I got the idea from this post https://morrisminorowners.co.uk/viewtop ... eak#p37206" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and was going to try it but thought there must be an easier way.
Might not be new to anyone but thought I'd put it up.

Image Image

Custard
Ireland

Contribution Stars

Re: Hand Brake Adjustment made easy (15 mins)

Post by Custard »

Good post and a good reason for keeping one of those old Torque wrenches around, you cant do that or tension belts with the click types.

Probably worth checking on all studs i.e. 4 times a wheel just in case there are tight spots. You don't want the slack spot one side to be a match for the tight spot the other side.

As I get older I appreciate ideas like that, the grab it with two hands and try and turn it till your red in the face isn't as appealing any more. I will try your way next time I do mine.

:thumbup:

Sean.

bumpy
Great Britain

Re: Hand Brake Adjustment made easy (15 mins)

Post by bumpy »

Great idea. I've got one of those torque wrenches so will store this in the memory.

Morris Minor 2 door saloon May 1963 in dove grey. 83,000 on original engine. Known as Moggy Moo.
Heated front and rear screens, disc brakes on front, heater, radio, refitted interior including new seats, electronic ignition.