Servo with drum brakes

Rebuilding, adjusting, maintaining & alternatives

Servo with drum brakes

Postby Smokey » Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:25 pm

My Minor (running a 1275 A+) has Wolsey 1500 brakes - I've often thought about adding disc brakes, but there's always something else on the car demanding of money. However I would like to reduce braking effort and have thought of adding a servo to start with, but was lead to believe this wasn't a good idea with drums as it makes it too easy to lock up the brakes.

But recently I've noticed a few classics (not Minors) for sale that still have drums but a servo has been added. Thoughts on this? - and thoughts about a servo on just the front brakes or all four - how difficult is the plumbing to do all 4? Has anyone here added just the servo on all round drums?

Has anyone on here ever done a step by step thread showing photos of a servo installation?

And one last question - a search on eBay 'Morris Minor Brake Servo' brings up a kit at £76.50 (supposedly reduced from £176) described as a 'Lockheed type' and another at £225.00 which doesn't mention the make - first one too good to be true or second one over priced?
Smokey

Wales (wl)

Re: Servo with drum brakes

Postby Sleeper » Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:31 pm

Just my personal opinion ( backed up by servo/cylinder reconditioners ) don't go for "type" as generally they are cr4p .

John ;)
Sleeper

Great Britain (GB)

Postby 53 Tudor » Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:15 am

I have Morris Major front brakes (same as Wolsley 1500) , 7" rear and the whole system is connected
to a booster (servo). (PBR VH-44 Australian made)
The booster is mounted to the inner guard drivers side of the engine bay, pointing rearwards slightly nose up.
Basically it is just an extension of the brakeline from the master-cylinder
to the 3-way joiner .(maybe 4-way on later cars?)
M/C to booster, booster back to the junction. I guess you may need an extra joiner to boost front only.
The booster doesn't really make the brakes work any better, just less pedal effort for what you have.
Cheers.
53 Tudor

Australia (au) AUS Victoria (p.)

Postby Custard » Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:27 am

I had a Servo on a drum braked traveller many years ago and it was fine.

It was a medium sized Lockheed/Girling one as originally used on a Hillman Hunter.

It was fitted to boost all 4 wheels. Personally I think that is the way it should be done to retain the front rear balance.

Last time I mentioned it I did get people saying you should not do it, but equally I knew people that said you definitely should fit one if you had a heavily loaded traveller or towed. I also had a friend with a servoed Riley 1.5 and that was brilliantly braked.

I think the main reason for locking up is poor grip, I had already moved to Radials when the servo was fitted and also I have noticed that some brake shoes no longer taper down at the ends.

As stated the servo wont give better brakes and they will still overheat and fade if you drag them on long descents, but the lower foot pressure required can give more control.

Equally if the brakes are not good for any other reason, glazed shoes etc. the Servo is not a cure all.

Sean.
Custard

Awards: 5
Contributions 2012 (1) Contributions 2013 (1) Contributions 2016 (1) Contributions 2017 (1) Contributions 2018 (1)

Ireland (ie)

Postby frosty » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:42 am

VH44 ... just so you know what they look like https://www.onlineautoparts.com.au/prod ... /ZPN-14938
We're friendly ~ have a look see
http://www.morrisdownunder.com/forum/index.php
frosty

Awards: 1
Contributions 2011 (1)

Australia (au) AUS Queensland (i.)

Postby Smokey » Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:40 pm

Many thanks all.
Smokey

Wales (wl)

Return to Suspension, Steering & Brakes