Welding - Gas Regulator vs Flow Meter

Finishing, Windows, Hoods & Trav wood etc

Welding - Gas Regulator vs Flow Meter

Postby Bidz » Tue Dec 27, 2016 2:37 pm


I'm about to upgrade my welder to take Hobbyweld proper gas bottle rather than those little Machine Mart jobbies.

Does anyone have any advice regarding the use of a Flow Meter instead of the twin gauge style regulators?

User avatar
Posts: 107
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:53 pm
Location: Coventry, for some reason.

Great Britain (GB)

Re: Welding - Gas Regulator vs Flow Meter

Postby volrod544 » Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:18 pm

the gas regulator is used to regulate and reduce the "pressure" (psi / bar) of the gas from the bottle-whatever gas you are using you WILL need a regulator as the bottles are very highly pressurised when full.as to the twin gauges,one gauge shows the bottle pressure and the other the outlet pressure (which when mig welding would be fine for flow regulation)The flow meter fits onto the output of the regulator and is used to adjust the gas "flow " or consumption,in liters/ min,mainly for economic reasons and adjusting the quantity of gas to get the ideal welding condition.regulator mounted flow meters are generally used for tig welding ,wheras a portable flow meter that fits over the mig shroud for initial setup may be used.
Posts: 40
Joined: Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:24 pm

United Kingdom (uk)

Return to Body, Paint, Glass & Wood Work

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest