Shultz in the engine bay

Finishing, Windows, Hoods & Trav wood etc
Carty
United Kingdom

Shultz in the engine bay

Post by Carty »

Making the most of the lock down decided to strip the engine bay and sort out the horrid Under seal mess that was sprayed in there. How would you go about cleaning it up?
I have the loan of a compressor if that would help. Thanks for all the advice. See photo hopefully attached.
Attachments
AB46F7D0-4C34-496C-B079-27F43511FAC2.jpeg
AB46F7D0-4C34-496C-B079-27F43511FAC2.jpeg (272.25 KiB) Viewed 281 times
AB46F7D0-4C34-496C-B079-27F43511FAC2.jpeg

Mecanglais
Formally known as chesney
France

Contribution Stars

Re: Shultz in the engine bay

Post by Mecanglais »

Hot air gun and wallpaper scraper. Wash the residue down as best you can with thinners or panel wipe then wire brush and/or sand.

Carty
United Kingdom

Post by Carty »

So, update. Did an hour today. Original paint work pretty decent mostly. Question is, can I prime over this existing paint or would I be better taking this off also. See photo hopefully attached
Attachments
913B7E73-2F1D-4888-ABD5-1E341562DACB.jpeg
913B7E73-2F1D-4888-ABD5-1E341562DACB.jpeg (231.13 KiB) Viewed 236 times
913B7E73-2F1D-4888-ABD5-1E341562DACB.jpeg

Mecanglais
Formally known as chesney
France

Contribution Stars

Post by Mecanglais »

I would be taking it all off and etch priming.
You cannot be sure how the old paint will react to the primer.
No point in having to do the work twice in my opinion, do it right first time, depends what sort of finish you are going for though.
Will top coat be celly or 2K (or something else)?

Carty
United Kingdom

Post by Carty »

Hi. Re final coat, haven’t got that far in my thinking. I am looking for a car for a daily drive, it’s never going to be concourse.
So, whatever works in a most practical way. I’m intending taking it back to its original Smoke Grey. In the engine bay, while I don’t want it to look like a dogs dinner, hence removing the under seal, it needn’t be perfect, as long as it’s rust free and gives a decent show of itself.
I’m leaning towards taking it down to bare metal.
Thanks for your replies
Dave

Carty
United Kingdom

Post by Carty »

Just an update. Got 90% of the Schultz off, leaving the original paint / original primer on most areas, with some bare metal.
I found the Schultz came off reasonably easy with the heat gun. I was informed that the original paint will likely have lead in it and to use a respirator, obviously these are not available at the moment.
So, given that the areas with paint on are sound, is there anything I can put on that will enable pain to take.
My plan was to use POR 15 metal prep on the bare metal areas and rust preventive coating on the rusted areas, then a high build primer.
I’d appreciate any thoughts. Thank you

plastic orange
Scotland

Contribution Stars

Members Choice Award

Post by plastic orange »

Looking at the pics, when you've removed the shultz you've removed some layers of paint as well. You really need to feather this all as best you can before applying primer. A few coats of high build on this and rubbed down smooth would let you put top coat on it.

PO

Undefeated best Orange Hawaiian award Pateley Bridge 5 years in a row.

Moggi3painterman
New Poster
Great Britain

Post by Moggi3painterman »

Hi , It's advisable to feather edge any paint edges after removing any underbody coating. also remove any surface corrosion. schutz in the engine bay is not really advisable owing to its nature and purpose. I speak through professional experience as a vehicle painter (retired).
All traces of schutz should be removed and washed of with slow degreaser and wiped off thoroughly before any preparation is effected prior to painting.
I hope this is of some help to.