Bonnet Catch

Finishing, Windows, Hoods & Trav wood etc

Bonnet Catch

Postby Sleeper » Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:52 pm

Dear All

The bonnet has opened itself again...on the return trip , Huddersfield to Manchester M62...

Are there any secrets or tips re. adjusting the catch....I've set it tight...I've set it loose...but thank God the secondary catch works.

Anyone??
Thanks
John
Sleeper

Great Britain (GB)

Re: Bonnet Catch

Postby Big Al » Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:23 pm

Sleeper wrote:Dear All

The bonnet has opened itself again...on the return trip , Huddersfield to Manchester M62...

Are there any secrets or tips re. adjusting the catch....I've set it tight...I've set it loose...but thank God the secondary catch works.

Anyone??
Thanks
John

What about this..? ;)
IMGP2875.JPG
Big Al
Furry Feet

Awards: 12
Contributions 2011 (1) Contributions 2012 (1) Contributions 2013 (1) Contributions 2014 (1) Contributions 2015 (1)
Contributions 2016 (1) Contributions 2017 (1) Contributions 2018 (1) Contributions 2019 (1) Contributions 2020 (1)
MMO Annual Award Winner (1) MMO Top Tester (1)

England (en) UK Hertfordshire (.h)

Postby Sleeper » Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:30 pm

That's a good idea......

John :roll:
Sleeper

Great Britain (GB)

Postby chesney » Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:49 pm

Is the striker pin worn?

I'm sure you have seen it but there are two 3/16BSF bolts that hold the bonnet striker assembly together.

I take it there is nothing stopping the movement of the rest of the bonnet release assembly, nothing holding it open, a shortened pull rod for example?

Is the return spring still taut?

I would advise checking all the above and also taking the striker assembly apart and examining for wear. The striker assembly is obviously adjustable (to an extent) in all directions, as is the striker pin, perhaps while the striker assembly is off you can try lining the striker pin with the hole in the front panel and ensuring it runs true, then refit the striker assembly and adjusting to suit, it is not uncommon to to find the front panel is way out and causing the striker pin to grab on the panel itself.

The pin can be adjusted by removing the 'Bull Motif' badge and slackening locknut (5/16BSF spanner I think) and adjusting striker pin with a flat blade screwdriver.

The striker assembly should consist of a rigid plate at the base, held in place with two bolts as above, with two metal bushes that allow the sliding plate to move independently, which should be held in place by the return spring. The system works if it is all in good condition, I have never had a bonnet release itself on me but they must be lubricated often
chesney
I beat the Great MMO Challenge!

Awards: 1
Contributions 2013 (1)

France (fr) UK Yorkshire (eu)

Return to Body, Paint, Glass & Wood Work