Order of removal & replacement of panels

Finishing, Windows, Hoods & Trav wood etc

Order of removal & replacement of panels

Postby austinh7 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:54 pm

Hi,

I'm about to embark on the process of pretty much replacing the whole of the front "corner" of my car, (2 door saloon).

Current state:

IMG_0584.jpg

IMG_0591.jpg

IMG_0598.jpg

The kidney panel had gaffa tape on the inside with underseal painted over the top!

A couple of "interesting repairs" have obviously been done on this corner before, looking to rectify it and stop the water getting in.

As well as the bits you can see in the photo, the inside of the inner wing is gone, (got an ESM repair panel) and a bit of the floor needs to be replaced.

From what I can see so far the boxing panel and inner sill look pretty good apart from a bit of ropiness at the very front.

Question is before I start chopping stuff out is there an order I should do bits of this?

I'm aware that I need to carefully measure the location of various pieces so I can get the door to shut properly when I'm done.

Thanks in advance, Austin
austinh7

Great Britain (GB)

I'm about to embark on a similar project.
My theory and I don't for one minute say this is the right way to do things,is to see what panels you think you need and get your head round which panel is fitted first.
That is obviously the last panel to come off, it's then a case of first off last on but making sure the shell itself is supported and braced before any panels are removed.
Take things slowly and know what panels are coming off and in what order.
There is a guy on YouTube who has a minor in NZ he has begun from the beginning, worth a watch if only to see how the panels are fitted.
Link below.

https://youtu.be/zGW45HCQOSs
murrayminor

Ireland (ie) UK Lancashire (lk)

I'd sort the A post first - just needs bottom part sorted, don't replace the whole lot unless you want to spend a lot of time adjusting door afterwards, I would then repair the boxing section as required, then move on to the inner wing area. However, be prepared for rot everywhere.

PO
Undefeated best Orange Hawaiian award Pateley Bridge 5 years in a row.
plastic orange

Awards: 10
Contributions 2011 (1) Contributions 2012 (1) Contributions 2013 (1) Contributions 2014 (1) Contributions 2015 (1)
Contributions 2016 (1) Contributions 2017 (1) Contributions 2018 (1) Contributions 2019 (1) Members Choice Award (1)

Scotland (sf) UK Scotland (.j)

I agree - from what I can see. I'd be reluctant to replace the entire pillar unless it was absolutely necessary. It looks as if you've got plenty of work to do anyway. Good luck with it.
old english white

Thanks for replies everyone. It's worse than it looks so more has come out :shock:

Kidney panel and inner wing are now new metal, going for sill panels next, (it's rotten all the way to the back!)

Lots of putting everything together with clamps and measuring but hopefully I've now got all the rot out of this side. Other side is not as bad at least.
austinh7

Great Britain (GB)

Re: Order of removal & replacement of panels

Postby Panky » Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:33 pm

I'm doing similar work to you but I made the big mistake of startimg fron the rear spring hanger (I thought that was all that was needed :roll: ) Ended up chasing everything forward. I had to renew the whole hinge panel and closing plate because of this :?
I held everything together with tech screws and positioned before welding it all up. Still not finished that side as I got fed up finding rot but I know what to expect on the other side so hopefully it will go better. Then it's on to the woodwork
You're doing a great job by the way 8)

20181124_125618.jpg
Attachments
20181124_125606.jpg
20190302_155431.jpg
20190305_165505.jpg
Panky

United Kingdom (uk) UK England (.g)

Ha, I thought I only had to do a bit at the front and have ended up chasing all the way to the back!

What surprised me most was the lack of paint on some panels, inside of kidney panel etc were just bare metal, (looks like it was original metal as well.)

Everything I'm doing is being well covered up with primer etc so hopefully should last a while before it needs doing again!
austinh7

Great Britain (GB)

Re: Order of removal & replacement of panels

Postby Panky » Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:19 pm

My car looked absolutely great but underneath was an abobination of patches upon patche and lots of filler. At one point I counted seven layers of floor - and filler :shock:
For example here's the front spring hanger I cut out. Consisted mainly of a bit of folded thin plate held in place with filler :evil:
Attachments
20181003_133827.jpg
20181003_133844.jpg
Panky

United Kingdom (uk) UK England (.g)

Return to Body, Paint, Glass & Wood Work