micro bubbles in paint

Finishing, Windows, Hoods & Trav wood etc

micro bubbles in paint

Postby Alchemist » Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:44 am

I am sure that this has been covered before but when I did a search nothing came up. I have just taken the so called breathable car cover off Morris and to my horror have found extensive areas of the roof peppered with tiny micro bubbles in the paint. I would at a guess say as a result off the cover being on. I have removed the cover regularly as recommended by the manufacturers, however due to the prolonged bad weather over Christmas it has been left for about 3 weeks. Is there an easy remedy to this problem or am I going to have to have the roof resprayed? knowing my luck it will be the expensive option......TBH I have noticed micro bubbles elsewhere on the car but these are only very localised small areas which I could probably remedy with an aerosol spray paint . The car has not been recently sprayed, probably about 9 years ago, so not due to soft paint. Any help gratefully appreciated.
"In twenty years from now it will be the things that you didn't do that you will regret the most" Mark Twain.
Alchemist

England (en) UK Kent (.i)

Re: micro bubbles in paint

Postby Panky » Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:28 pm

You're not alone. I used a Stormforce cover last winter in an attempt to preserve my traveller. My car also suffered with micro blisters all over the roof and, although the inside of the car stayed relatively dry, The paintwork and timber seemed to deteriorated just as bad as it would have done if exposed to the elements :( It's been in the garage for about a year now and the blisters have reduced but the car will need a respray to put it right.
Panky

United Kingdom (uk) UK England (.g)

Postby Alchemist » Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:50 pm

Thanks Appreciate your response I was afraid this would be the case I will probably get away with just a roof respray if they can match the paint well enough so hopefully won't be too expensive but annoying as I, like you thought that I was doing the right thing buying a breathable cover to protect the car.... :(
"In twenty years from now it will be the things that you didn't do that you will regret the most" Mark Twain.
Alchemist

Postby Panky » Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:44 pm

Me too :(
Just had another look and the blisters have all but gone on the roof, probably get away with a buff and polish now, can't say that for the rest of the car :oops:
Panky

Postby cococola » Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:41 pm

I had micro blisters on a porsche 944 going back a few years ago, I put the car in my garage at the time which was a concrete cold damp garage and I used a car cover. After about a month I got the car out and the paintwork was really pimpled with micro blister which was something that I had never experienced before.
I thought that I would need a complete respray however they virtually dissapeared after being in the warmer sunlight. After checking with a bodyshop I was advised that it best to not cover the car as the problem would appear and I didnt have the problem again..very strange but true.
:grommit: I LOVE MY MOGGIE :love4:
cococola

Awards: 2
Contributions 2017 (1) Contributions 2018 (1)

Postby Rick1963 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:56 pm

The 1st year I had mine covered in the garage it suffered from this problem, since I have been using a fan on a timer mounted in the rafters, pointing down on the car I have not suffered from this problem while using a cover.
Rick1963

Great Britain (GB)

Postby Alchemist » Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:43 am

Thanks guys let's hope the do vanish as I am reluctant to go to the expense of a respray... My Morris has been outside with the cover on I think the problem has been aggravated by the addition of my boot luggage rack which has meant that the cover is now tighter across the roof not allowing such a free internal circulation of air. I have now got the cover off and hopefully the bubbles will go.
Alchemist

Postby palacebear » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:04 am

I had the same problem last winter, also caused by prolonged use of a 'breathable' cover. When the weather improved I left the car parked outside in the sunlight every day I could. The micro-blistering reduced noticeably. Then I polished the car twice with black T-cut (car is black) followed by a cheap liquid wax polish. Kept the car looking reasonably good for the rest of the year but probably needs a machine mop to finish it off. TBH I think ultimately a re-paint is the only permanent cure.
1956 Series II called Max :D
palacebear

Return to Body, Paint, Glass & Wood Work