Morris won't start - must be an earth!

Loom, lights, gauges, indicators & wiring

Morris won't start - must be an earth!

Postby sarahblnk » Sat May 12, 2018 7:35 am

Hi everyone,

I'm tearing my hair out a little as I can't get my Traveller started.

I was regularly having trouble starting up during wet periods. It was fine in the freezing cold conditions at the beginning of the year so it seems to just be damp. I replaced my battery for garage-bought good battery (paid £70 ish) and it holds charge well and seems to be in good order. I've checked the battery earth and other lead and both are intact and in good condition. I've changed plugs and points etc. after a recon engine went in before Christmas and I've recently had points and timing etc done (as part of a check up after recon engine went in).

It would turn over ok (until I'd tried so many times that the battery went dead) it would just really struggle to fire. Jump starting would sometimes help but not always.

So by process of elimination, I decided to give my wiring a good clean up and check my earths etc. I cleaned up the battery earth and supply lead, I took every wire off the solenoid, cleaned it with wire brush/ emery board and put it all back together. I also cleaned up cable from solenoid to starter motor and replaced it as I had found it.

Feeling hopeful, I went to start him up but just got a 'click' sound (I believe this is the starter motor?) and no joy at starting. This is less than I had before I cleaned up so I can only imagine it must be an earth or something that's not gone back on correctly..

I bought a new solenoid and starter switch as I wanted to have everything at hand incase it was required. New solenoid makes no difference (I also just get the click sound) and I haven't tried the new starter switch yet (I'm reluctant to change this yet).

I'm going to go and check my wiring again in a second but I've read on previous posts about an earth under the car and also the strap from the gear box/ engine. I'd really like to check these too but not sure exactly where to find them. Cam anybody point me in the right direction please?

NB I did an alternator conversion some years ago so am -ve earth. Also, I have checked and there is power going to the solenoid but nothing transmitting to the starter motor. I don't get anything when I make a connection across the solenoid.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Frustratingly, I think it's got to be an earth somewhere... but I just can't find out where!

Thank you,

Sarah
sarahblnk
New Poster

Great Britain (GB) UK England (.g)

Re: Morris won't start - must be an earth!

Postby 58 MOGGY » Sat May 12, 2018 9:37 am

Hi maybe try using a jump lead from battery earth to good earth on engine as a temporary earth,then try starting,if it makes a difference you know you got bad engine earth

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dunk
58 MOGGY

England (en)

what he said,^^^^^^

When its done its done (for now)
Derv Turbo Power (Joosed)
woodywoodchipper

Awards: 7
Contributions 2011 (1) Contributions 2012 (1) Contributions 2013 (1) Contributions 2015 (1) Contributions 2016 (1)
Contributions 2017 (1) Contributions 2018 (1)

United Kingdom (uk) UK Lancashire (lk)

Re: Morris won't start - must be an earth!

Postby Custard » Mon May 14, 2018 6:10 pm

Re:-

"I've read on previous posts about an earth under the car and also the strap from the gear box/ engine. I'd really like to check these too but not sure exactly where to find them. Cam anybody point me in the right direction please?"

Usually it is a braided multi strand cable on a bolt on the end of the gearbox cross member to a bolt on the rear end of the gearbox. They are one and the same thing, earth strap from the gearbox.

So more or less under where the front of the front seat is.

They slowly fail strand by strand, and or the bolt may be loose from last time the box was out.

If it fires ok with the jump lead fitted as mentioned then it is most probably that cable/strap.

Sean.
Custard

Awards: 5
Contributions 2012 (1) Contributions 2013 (1) Contributions 2016 (1) Contributions 2017 (1) Contributions 2018 (1)

Ireland (ie)

Return to Electrics, Instrumentation & Security