Replacement fusebox

Loom, lights, gauges, indicators & wiring

Replacement fusebox

Postby cococola » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:13 pm

I have a new 6 fusebox that will contain blade fuses which will allow me extra fuse points for accessories aswell as having a better fuse connection instead of the glass type.
My question is how to wire it up, I have looked at various old posts and I saw the same fusebox with all of the wires going into the one side of the fusebox and on the lower terminals they are piggybacked onto each other.I have attached the photo here and I would be grateful if somebody can advise me if this is correct or alternately what wires go where.
Many thanks
Alan
Attachments
Fuses.jpg
:grommit: I LOVE MY MOGGIE :love4:
cococola

Awards: 2
Contributions 2017 (1) Contributions 2018 (1)

United Kingdom (uk) UK England (.g)

Re: Replacement fusebox

Postby woodywoodchipper » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:36 pm

do you have an alternator ?

if yes this will work, as its replaced the control box, if you look closely some of the wires are grouped together in separate connectors,these are the A&A+ and other control box wires,

its a little untidy best way is to solder a link wire across the back of the terminals with 1 connection at 1 end, or a fuse box from a modern that has rear entry fittings,

When its done its done (for now)
Derv Turbo Power (Joosed)
woodywoodchipper

Awards: 7
Contributions 2011 (1) Contributions 2012 (1) Contributions 2013 (1) Contributions 2015 (1) Contributions 2016 (1)

United Kingdom (uk) UK Lancashire (lk)

Postby cococola » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:41 pm

Yes I have the alternator conversion on my car and think the fusebox upgrade would be nice aswell.
cococola

Postby cococola » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:44 pm

its a little untidy best way is to solder a link wire across the back of the terminals with 1 connection at 1 end, or a fuse box from a modern that has rear entry fittings,[/quote]

Sorry to seem thick but not sure how you mean woody?
cococola

Postby andy-harris » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:37 pm

Hi Alan,
What you've done looks fine to me.
I think woody is talking about all the loops which are being used to create a 'busbar' so you got 6 fuses from the auxiliary, or always on supply, and six from the ignition switched supply. It's partly aesthetics, partly that all those wires are introducing possible connection fail points.
Won't stop it working though.

Andy
andy-harris

Awards: 1
Contributions 2014 (1)

United Kingdom (uk) UK Yorkshire (eu)

Postby cococola » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:41 pm

Ive looked at it again this morning and I have 6 terminals one side and 6 terminals the other on the new fusebox.
On my old fusebox I have 3 white wires going into the lower right fuse with 2 greens going from the top to the same fuse with another green onto the top centre terminal. On the lower left fuse I have 2 mauve wires going in and on the top left I have just One mauve wire going in. Can anybody advise what goes where please :?
Sorry for all the questions.
cococola

Postby andy-harris » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:30 pm

No worries, it is all very confusing.
Based on image below from before I took emog apart and the manual. This looks like a similar arrangement to what you've done with the new fuseboxes:
Bottom left - brown, Live from battery. If you've got rid of the regulator, then there may only be one of these now.
Top left - Purple - these all go to interior lights and horn
Bottom right - White, feeds from voltage regulator, ign switch. If you've got rid of the regulator, then there may be fewer of these now.
Top right - green - lots of ancilliaries, eg fuel pump, indicators etc etc.

Main lights/side lights are not connected through the original fuse box, there's an in-line fuse on some red cable which does this (probably not there for older mogs?). Bit dodgy...

Hope that helps.

IMGP5812.JPG
andy-harris

Contributions 2014 (1)

Postby Custard » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:33 pm

Try cleaning the purple wires a bit are you sure the single one is not brown?

It should be a brown live in and a couple of purples out, these deal with the non switched items horn and interior lights which work without the ignition being on.

Other fuse one of the whites comes from the ignition key so live when the key turned and the other two go to the fuel pump and distributor so they are only live when the ignition key is turned, but for some reason I don't understand they are not going through a fuse. The greens out the other side deal with switched and fused items, the fuel gauge, indicators, wipers.

That's the high level view, you need a wiring diagram and a magnifying glass if you need to follow individual circuits all the way round.

Sean.

He types quicker :D
Custard

Awards: 5
Contributions 2012 (1) Contributions 2013 (1) Contributions 2016 (1) Contributions 2017 (1) Contributions 2018 (1)

Ireland (ie)

Postby andy-harris » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:38 pm

The brown and yellow (something to do with dynamo/low voltage warning?) going in to the top right may be an issue, as this *looks* like it may be connected direct to live , bypassing the fuse...
andy-harris

Contributions 2014 (1)

Postby cococola » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:26 pm

So is it a case of connecting all of the old fusebox wires into the one side only of my new fusebox and then looping all of the otherside of the fusebox terminals as in my first picture please?
cococola

Postby Custard » Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:27 pm

Yes it should be.

Your top picture basically replaces each of the existing fuses with a fuse box.

So the one on the left with white wires going in is all the ignition controlled stuff and the one on the right with the brown going in is all the stuff always live.

The only bit that was uncertain was that you said you had a mauve going in and two mauve coming out which I thought would be like the picture with brown going in and two mauve/purple coming out. I just think the brown is probably grubby/faded.

Sean.
Custard

Contributions 2012 (1) Contributions 2013 (1) Contributions 2016 (1) Contributions 2017 (1) Contributions 2018 (1)

Ireland (ie)

Postby cococola » Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:04 pm

Well Im a happy boy...Ive upgraded the fusebox this morning and everything works as it should.
Thank you all so much with help and advice again...much appreciated :thumbup: :thumbup:
cococola

Postby Custard » Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:08 pm

Well done.

If it is like the top picture with a couple of unused ones use the spare slots to store spare fuses.

Sean.
Custard

Ireland (ie)

Postby cococola » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:22 am

Thanks Sean its like the top picture but a little tidier as I shortened the loop wires.Ive used all of the fuse holders being a smaller fusebox but I have accessories spread out onto different fuses which I think will be better and also using the blade fuses will be more reliable maybe.
cococola

Postby cococola » Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:59 pm

new fusebox
Attachments
20180127_143752.jpg
cococola

Return to Electrics, Instrumentation & Security