Fitting a modern radio

Loom, lights, gauges, indicators & wiring

Fitting a modern radio

Postby Nourish » Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:21 pm

If I was going to fit a modern radio into a virgin panel - say for example a glove box lid - then do I fit a 'cage' in place - tack weld it in?

s-l1600.jpg
Nourish

Awards: 1
Contributions 2016 (1)

England (en)

Re: Fitting a modern radio

Postby Custard » Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:59 pm

You generally do need a cage, but they are usually of so thin a metal you cannot easily weld them and they are usually galvanized so would give of dangerous fumes as well.

Personally I would fabricate a frame to put it in behind the lid so nothing visible when the lid is shut.

Simplest is to remove the glove box liner, screw the cage to a square of wood of such a thickness that when in the glove box aperture it sits on the metal under the dash and can be screwed to that. You can then be a contortionist and reach through the big underdash hole to get to the wiring and make a faceplate to match the glovebox shape.

How neat it ends up is down to patience and ingenuity.

Personally I would do that or remove the glovebox lid and make a flat plate of steel or ally and have a flat surface for the radio rather than do something irreversible to a good glovebox lid.

But that is only my opinion it is your car so make it how you want.

In the past I have also put a toggle switch on the drivers side in the feed to the radio so I can switch it off easily without reaching over. That may not work with all radios though.

Sean.
Custard

Awards: 4
Contributions 2012 (1) Contributions 2013 (1) Contributions 2016 (1) Contributions 2017 (1)

Ireland (ie)

Postby Nourish » Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:36 pm

I'll probably put it where the large speedo is on yours but used the lid as an example.
Ok so make a box up - is there any need for one of those cages then? - should I make the box to fit around the cage? - I've never had a radio on my bikes!
Nourish

Awards: 1
Contributions 2016 (1)

England (en)

Postby geezer » Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:59 pm

Though you don't need the box it does make it easier to install. You would attach any mountings to the box, Then the radio will slide in. The face plate will then cover any sins in carving out the hole.
Give an Englishman a car and he'll make it leak
geezer

United States (us) US Mississippi (ft)

Postby The vast minority » Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:15 pm

Here's how I did it.
Aly plate, covered in carbon fibre wrap.
Easy as putting a hat on your head.
This was attached to holes someone had drilled in the dash but could just as easily be incorporated into the aperture itself.

Ask if you want it, cage included, it's yours for the postage and you could use as a guide or chop up. Could make a plate with a flange out of it to go somewhere else and keep the carbon fibre look.

Al
IMG_0076.JPG

IMG_0077.JPG
The vast minority

Awards: 4
Contributions 2014 (1) Contributions 2015 (1) Contributions 2016 (1) Contributions 2017 (1)

United Kingdom (uk)

Return to Electrics, Instrumentation & Security