How do I wire-up power socket?

Loom, lights, gauges, indicators & wiring

How do I wire-up power socket?

Postby imagoodbloke » Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:35 am

Hi Guys.
I have a cigarette lighter/power socket I would like to fit in my Minor, Where should I take the power feed from ?(the car is negative earth) The socket has a 20amp inline fuse and the car electrics are protected by 8 amp fuses. Should I take the feed directly from the battery? Thanks for any advice.
imagoodbloke

United Kingdom (uk) UK England (.g)

Re: How do I wire-up power socket?

Postby The vast minority » Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:52 am

Hi
Welcom

It's perfectly acceptable to use a connection directly to battery and use the inline fuse holder you have with the unit.
Another, better way is to fit an auxiliary fuse box with a connection directly to the battery. I bought one from Halfords and fitted it with double sided number plate adhesive pads to the front of the battery.

This has a row of 8 fused supplies so you can add a few accessories as you wish, without having loads of wires going to the battery.

Either way works well.

Al
The vast minority

Awards: 4
Contributions 2014 (1) Contributions 2015 (1) Contributions 2016 (1) Contributions 2017 (1)

United Kingdom (uk)

Postby Big Jim » Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:00 am

Al's way is good , but that will make everything off the new box permanently live , you may want to have it ignition live , so you don't have to remember to switch things off . I have another fuse box wired in next to the old one supplied from an ignition fed live .
Big Jim

Awards: 1
Contributions 2016 (1)

Great Britain (GB)

Postby The vast minority » Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:49 pm

Big Jim wrote:Al's way is good , but that will make everything off the new box permanently live , you may want to have it ignition live , so you don't have to remember to switch things off . I have another fuse box wired in next to the old one supplied from an ignition fed live .

Good point big Jim.

Your absolutely right. The extras that I have on there are just a feed for the 12 volt socket which I wanted live so I could charge the phone when away from the car, for example when at Pateley in the tent I could have phone in car on charge without ignition on. I also thought about having a little LED that does nothing on the dash. This I could also wire up to that fusebox with a tiny rated fuse.

For the OP's purposes, your switched live is probably the better solution.
Al
The vast minority

Contributions 2014 (1) Contributions 2015 (1) Contributions 2016 (1) Contributions 2017 (1)

United Kingdom (uk)

Postby woodywoodchipper » Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:26 pm

connect to any Green wire as they are switched live,

my own is connected to back of speedo,so it switches off when ign off,

no extra holes or fuse boxes needed,

why make thing more costly and difficult,

simples work,

When its done its done (for now)
Derv Turbo Power (Joosed)
woodywoodchipper

Awards: 6
Contributions 2011 (1) Contributions 2012 (1) Contributions 2013 (1) Contributions 2015 (1) Contributions 2016 (1)
Contributions 2017 (1)

United Kingdom (uk) UK Lancashire (lk)

Postby imagoodbloke » Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:11 am

Hi Guys. I used woodywoodchipper's advice, and connected it to the terminal on the fuse box that has the green wires from it. It's only going to be used to power my satnav so the 8amp fuse should be ok. Thank you all, for all your suggestions and help. Pete
imagoodbloke

United Kingdom (uk) UK England (.g)

Postby The vast minority » Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:00 pm

Another great result :D

Glad you are sorted.
Al
The vast minority

United Kingdom (uk)

Return to Electrics, Instrumentation & Security