Trafficator doesn’t work.

Loom, lights, gauges, indicators & wiring

Trafficator doesn’t work.

Postby Jonio » Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:10 pm

The near side trafficator doesn’t work. No movement. It’s a 4 door saloon.drivers side ok. How do I gain access to the wiring. There’s seat belts fitted . Thanks
Jonio

United Kingdom (uk) UK Wales (.l)

Re: Trafficator doesn’t work.

Postby old english white » Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:00 am

There is just a single live wire to each trafficator - they earth directly through the car bodywork. You'll have to remove the seatbelt and the piece of interior trim to gain access to the trafficator and wire. Maybe a connection has come apart somewhere. The wire runs from the switch to the trafficator. It is a very simple system. It could also be an earthing fault if the trafficator mounting has become dirty or corroded. You'll have to remove the trafficator and clean up all the connections and then I would test the trafficator itself on a battery. They are generally quite reliable so a poor connection is most likely.
old english white

Postby Jonio » Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:20 am

Thank you, Yes I did all that, but the arm still seems to stick at the bottom. Almost like a lock position, it has to click open, if you see what I mean. I was wondering if it was supposed to be smooth all the way, or click shut. Which may be stopping it working..
Jonio

Postby Jonio » Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:08 am

Got it working now. Cleaned, oiled and greased... but there’s a problem with the switch stalk. To power the left trafficator you have to move it up...nothing happens..then apply pressure towards you,it works fine then. Is there a way of adjusting the switch to make a better upwards contact. I tried screwing the stalk in, but that didn’t do anything. At least it all working tho.. thanks all.
Jonio

Postby Jonio » Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:08 pm

All working good now. The stalk just needed a bit of use I think. Fitted flashing LEDS. very nice.
Jonio

Postby MickEssex » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:08 pm

Glad to hear you got it working okay. :D
MickEssex

Awards: 11
Contributions 2011 (1) Contributions 2012 (1) Contributions 2013 (1) Contributions 2014 (1) Contributions 2015 (1)
Contributions 2016 (1) Contributions 2017 (1) Contributions 2018 (1) Contributions 2019 (1) MMO Annual Award Winner (1)
Members Choice Award (1)

Great Britain (GB) UK Essex (.m)

Return to Electrics, Instrumentation & Security