Battery knackery, what could cause it?

Loom, lights, gauges, indicators & wiring

Battery knackery, what could cause it?

Postby wren1710 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:17 am

What could go wrong and knacker the battery in 4 months?

A bit of background: I got a new battery 4 months ago, now its knackered and the garage is (grudingly) replacing it as its under waranty but they did specuate it could be a fault knackering it-but what?

The car is basicly a standard 64 2dr, but it has been changed too - earth before I got it.
Runs without the battery (does eventualy stop on tickover, but that shouldn't be anything unusual with a dynamo)
Dynamo looks to be charging the right way, as I have LED lights and they still work straight of the dynamo.
Charged the battery for 2 days and still flat.
Electrics look ok (good as you'd expect for 60 year old wireing)
Nothing looks obviously wrong, starts and runs fine.

So what could knacker the battery like that? the only things I wonder about is the earth change, could that have not been done right and now be causing problems? what should I check? (when I first got it I took the battery out to charge, but theres just a braided earth and a plain black contact wire to the electrics, so I could have put it in backwards before I marked the + wire, but that was 2 years ago and not even this battery) Could it be a leak in the system?
Image Image
wren1710

Awards: 2
Contributions 2012 (1) Contributions 2017 (1)

Great Britain (GB)

Re: Battery knackery, what could cause it?

Postby Panky » Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:58 am

I've had a couple of batteries just fail over the years and some that have lasted for as long as I've had the car, probably just bad luck.
Batteries don't like being completely drained and just a couple of cycles that drain them to a critical level will knacker them. Try disconnecting one of the battery terminals and put a multi meter across with the ignition off, any indication will tell you if there's a parasitic drain - but any accessories that run with ignition off (stereo, alarm) will show up.
Panky

United Kingdom (uk) UK England (.g)

Postby 58 MOGGY » Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:44 pm

I’ve found a lot of no name cheaper batteries aren’t good,they can use recycled lead for the cells and just don’t last

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dunk
58 MOGGY

England (en)

Postby TDV102 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:50 pm

I had one fail within weeks - the garage loans me one while they tested it. I never went back! On the flip side, I just replaced the one on my 2002 Focus, it was the Ford original!
TDV102

United Kingdom (uk) UK Yorkshire (eu)

Postby cococola » Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:16 pm

I never recommend cheap batteries from past experiences, I have always bought batteries over the years for several different cars from Tanya batteries on ebay. Very reasonable and a long guarantee, which says it all really.
:grommit: I LOVE MY MOGGIES :love4:
cococola

Awards: 3
Contributions 2017 (1) Contributions 2018 (1) Contributions 2019 (1)

United Kingdom (uk) UK England (.g)

Postby wren1710 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:52 pm

Well I found what was draining the battery, 12v going throught the interior light all the time, even when not lighting. (that was a hard wire to trace from the fuze box, just plain brown dissapering into the loom :? )
Image Image
wren1710

Awards: 2
Contributions 2012 (1) Contributions 2017 (1)

Great Britain (GB)

Return to Electrics, Instrumentation & Security