Electric cooling fan.

Loom, lights, gauges, indicators & wiring

Electric cooling fan.

Postby imagoodbloke » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:44 pm

Hi Guys, I’m thinking of fitting an electric cooling fan as the old motor doesn’t like being stuck in traffic for long during the summer months. Does anyone have any experience with them, which make , suck or blow, is it worth removing existing fan etc ? Thankyou in anticipation.
imagoodbloke

United Kingdom (uk) UK England (.g)

Re: Electric cooling fan.

Postby The vast minority » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:04 pm

before doing that have you back flushed the rad and block with thermostat out?
Minors were overcooled and should never overheat in this country. (assuming yours is standard)

Try that first,

Al
The vast minority

Awards: 5
Contributions 2014 (1) Contributions 2015 (1) Contributions 2016 (1) Contributions 2017 (1) Contributions 2018 (1)

United Kingdom (uk)

Postby ruairidh » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:33 pm

Try using a dishwashing tablet with small amount of very hot water mixed to a paste and add to your system.
Run up until at full temp, drain system and flush at least twice both ways. :)
Be all you can be
ruairidh

Awards: 2
Contributions 2012 (1) Contributions 2013 (1)

Scotland (sf) UK Northern Ireland (ek)

Postby Custard » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:07 pm

If it is standard the reason for the electric fan is usually the opposite, it stays off until the car is warm so the heater gets warm quicker, warm and quicker being relative terms :D

A quick fix if you think more fan would help is to bolt an extra blade on. There is usually a spacer on top of the blade so you can replace that with an extra blade.

I found fitting an electric fan is not quite as straightforward as you would expect.

If it sucks through the rad then it has to be offset as even without the fan the nose of the water pump with its pulley is still there and needs clearance.

If the engine has a later timing cover with a breather on it then that needs clearance too.

If you get a suitable size it can be slotted in front of the radiator but it is a tight squeeze with the standard slats on the grille and usually ends up with a portion of the fan slightly below the actual radiator. Also when that low it needs to be offset to one side if you want to retain use of the starting handle, or you can almost double the cost and fit two smaller ones.

Then you have to consider if you want it always on, on a switch, or automatic.

Always on seems to defeat the point of having them.

On a switch is good if you have a temperature gauge and know you wont forget, and you don't let anyone else drive it.

Automatic is good, especially if others drive it, but a bit more fiddly and costly if it doesn't all come in the kit.

And you can have automatic with a manual switch so you can switch it on early.

So basically horses for courses, I have one in front of the radiator off to one side so I can use the starting handle for setting valves and points. It is on a switch and I have a temperature gauge. Only other person that drives it is the MOT man and I keep an eye on him so he does not leave it ticking over too long. And I did have to fit a different grille as I could not get it behind the slats.

Sean.
Custard

Awards: 5
Contributions 2012 (1) Contributions 2013 (1) Contributions 2016 (1) Contributions 2017 (1) Contributions 2018 (1)

Ireland (ie)

Postby 58 MOGGY » Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:32 pm

I always use spal fans,very powerfull for size,and very slim,think they start at about 40mm thick,have a look on their web site for sizes make note of part number then search on eBay,use a alloy sleeve with temp sender built in,(again on eBay)just cut top hose in half put in alloy sleeve run positive and earth wire jobs a good un

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dunk
58 MOGGY

England (en)

Postby 58 MOGGY » Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:43 pm

ImageImage
Dunk
58 MOGGY

England (en)

Postby frosty » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:31 pm

We're friendly ~ have a look see
http://www.morrisdownunder.com/forum/index.php
frosty

Awards: 1
Contributions 2011 (1)

Australia (au) AUS Queensland (i.)

Postby imagoodbloke » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:23 pm

Thank you all very much for your advice/information.
Now I just don’t know what to do.
The reason for my post is that although the car doesn’t really over heat and boil up, the tick-over does become a little lumpy when stuck in traffic for a while, is that normal and nothing to worry about?
I’m always a little (a lot!) concerned when it sounds like it’s about to die on me.
The cars a 49 lowlight with a later 1098 fitted. Thanks again for your input.
imagoodbloke

Postby Panky » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:48 pm

Mine doesn't over heat but the fuel pump suffers when stuck in traffic and it clonks away like crazy as the fuel starts to vapourise in the lines. One easy thing you can try is to lower the pump as far as you can into the engine bay and try and position it away from the exhaust manifold.
Panky

Return to Electrics, Instrumentation & Security