Weller rims - hubcap problem!

Standard, alternative, alloys too

Re: Weller rims - hubcap problem!

Postby mu04ngo » Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:18 am

Hi Andy, found my rims in garage ,hubcaps-stainless steel commercial type WILL NOT fit Weller rim, I've wrecked the hub caps in attempting to modify it to fit, I think lugs on rim are to stubby so the return lip of the hub cap doesn't grip on to the lug . Will email Weller and let you know if I receive any response. Gary.
mu04ngo

United Kingdom (uk) UK Cambridgeshire (dw)

Postby BrianHawley » Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:16 am

mu04ngo wrote:Hi Andy, found my rims in garage ,hubcaps-stainless steel commercial type WILL NOT fit Weller rim, I've wrecked the hub caps in attempting to modify it to fit, I think lugs on rim are to stubby so the return lip of the hub cap doesn't grip on to the lug . Will email Weller and let you know if I receive any response. Gary.

This is not good.

Has ANYONE got a set of Wellers and managed to fit hubcaps?
Brian

"Jodie". '67 Traveller, 1275, discs, van wheels, vert shocks, arb etc.
BrianHawley

Awards: 2
Contributions 2017 (1) Contributions 2018 (1)

England (en)

Postby Andy W » Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:47 am

mu04ngo wrote:Hi Andy, found my rims in garage ,hubcaps-stainless steel commercial type WILL NOT fit Weller rim, I've wrecked the hub caps in attempting to modify it to fit, I think lugs on rim are to stubby so the return lip of the hub cap doesn't grip on to the lug . Will email Weller and let you know if I receive any response. Gary.

Well, what a surprise!
If you email Alan Lowe, he is the MD of Weller.
I will do the same & ask John (midget) on the MMOC forum to do the same.

I have re-profiled my buttons to accept the hubcaps as I had absolutely no support from Weller.

You are right about the height under the button being too slight.
Also, you need to shave 1mm or so off the outer side of each button to reduce the diameter.

I'm going to email Weller now, & put something on their FB page if I can.

I wonder if someone from the MMOC could contact them also? I'll ask the club.
Andy.
The Sundogs
Rockin' rollin' rhythm & roots!
www.thesundogs.uk
Andy W

United Kingdom (uk) UK Devon (dz)

Postby BrianHawley » Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:51 am

I came across a post on the other forum from last year saying basically the same thing. You have to grind down the buttons.

This does not seem to be a new problem.

I'm on my phone at the moment, but when I get to a computer I'll find the link and post it.
Brian

BrianHawley

England (en)

Postby Andy W » Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:00 am

I have just sent this to Alan Lowe of Weller Wheels.....

Dear Mr Lowe,

As you are aware, I have been in touch with Weller several times regarding the Weller Morris Minor rims I purchased which do not accept hubcaps due to the “buttons” being wrong.

I have had nothing but stonewalling from your company.
Whilst it is true that I have no legal come back to Weller due to the wheels being out of warranty & my not being the original purchaser, I had thought that some help might be offered out of good public & customer relations.

The constant denial from your company that there has ever been a problem with these rims is as frustrating as it is inaccurate.
There are at least two further Minor owners on the club forums that have exactly the same issue.
It would appear at first glance that the problem is with rims from around 2014-2015.

I have had to carefully re-profile the “buttons” on my rims to accept Minor hubcaps.

The reluctance to acknowledge a problem with your products, & the lack of interest in helping owners of those products is surprising (& very disappointing) coming from such a long established company & I feel that it shows considerable disregard for your own customers.

I hope you will both acknowledge this email & accept that there is indeed an issue with these rims.
Links to these forum discussions are below.

Yours sincerely,
Andy Winters.
The Sundogs
www.thesundogs.uk
Andy W

Postby BrianHawley » Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:15 am

Couldn't have put it better.

And they have already lost my business. I was going to buy a set, but have gone for van wheels instead. The hub cap issue was one of the reasons behind my decision
Brian

BrianHawley

England (en)

Postby Andy W » Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:22 pm

THE LATEST CORRESPONDENCE.....

Dear Andy,

Thank you for your email below. After speaking with you I have again reviewed the build process and technical drawings for the Morris Minor wheels with our technical team. These wheels have a very clear build process and stringent quality measures are in place that gives me the confidence in all the batches that we currently produce and there hubcap fitment.

I am very sorry that the second hand wheels you purchased did not meet your satisfaction. Unfortunately with them being out of any warranty period and having a third party intervention painting them I could not confirm any problem with them.

As discussed with you we as company were very happy to look at your wheels for you and I had invited you to send them to us along with the hubcaps for the team to check all fitments.

We take our product and its quality very seriously and are currently updating our ISO certification furthering this program of continuous improvement.

I am glad you were able to resolve the problem but again would reiterate we would have been very happy to receive the wheels back in this instance to review and assist had we had the chance.

I hope you understand this and look forward to hearing from you in the future.

Kind regards

Alan Lowe
Managing Director

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Alan,

Thanks for the swift response, it is appreciated.

I am very glad that you have confidence in your currently produced rims, mine & the other owners issue is with previously produced rims of course.

I do appreciate that you were prepared to have a look at my rims if I sent them in, but to be honest I lost all faith in the company’s genuine interest or willingness to engage with the matter.
I had nothing but “hedging” reaction to contacts I instigated with Weller, no proaction - emails or calls back.

I asked if a tech. team member could call me & that was apparently going to be incredibly difficult as everyone is so busy,
& indeed it didn’t happen.

When a tech. was shown the pictures I emailed across, the comment was that there have been hubcaps on the rims as the paint was marked…of course it was, how else would I find out that the caps didn’t fit unless I tried?

The disappointing insistent focusing on warranty legalities, etc. rather than looking after, & showing goodwill to, owners of your products was also very off putting & made me very reticent to invest time & money getting the rims to you.

I did ask, but got no real answer, as to whether you would actually be prepared to do anything to rectify the problem if I did send them to you, also making the exercise seem rather pointless.

I note still the reluctance to acknowledge, or be interested to learn of & explore, a problem with a production run of your product.

Moving on from my own experience, can I ask you to confirm for the other owners with this same issue, that you will gladly receive their rims if they chose to send them to you, & rectify the problem - which most definitely does exist - before returning their wheels to them?

Thank you for your time,
Regards,

Andy Winters.
The Sundogs
www.thesundogs.uk
Andy W

Postby Andy W » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:37 am

Alan Lowe's response to my reply:

Dear Andy,

Thank you again for the email, I'm sorry that your experience with us was not as you'd expected.

As business we strive to build the very best in British steel wheels and invest a huge amount into building quality steels for our customers.

If any other members had a concern with a wheel and contacted us we would of course review on an individual basis and would always look to try and find a solution where possible.

I hope this reassures your concerns.

Kind regards,

Alan Lowe
Managing Director
The Sundogs
www.thesundogs.uk
Andy W

Postby BrianHawley » Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:20 am

Too little too late.

And it's not a new problem:

https://www.mmoc.org.uk/Messageboard/search.php?st=0&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&keywords=weller&start=40

Last October: "Weller 5 1/2 on mine. The hub cap can be fitted with small mod to the Weller pins, which are a little too large."
Brian

BrianHawley

England (en)

Postby mu04ngo » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:08 pm

hi Andy, called Weller today, and Alan Lowe answered the phone, explained my (our problem),without ref to this forum,
explained I'd purchased them new a couple of years ago for long term build, very helpful, asked if I could send across emails relating
to purchase which I will do shortly. I've offered to take rims over with my standard pick-up rims which they can check against.
Will keep all in the loop as to what happens.
Have you seen my post under engines if your thinking of any engine etc. mods book well worth purchasing .
cheers
Gary B.
mu04ngo

Postby Andy W » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:18 pm

Great stuff Gary, good job.
Alan Lowe has also been emailed by another owner about their hubcap problem so hopefully he realises Weller need to
take some proper notice of this issue!
Andy.
The Sundogs
www.thesundogs.uk
Andy W

Postby mu04ngo » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:54 pm

hi Andy, had a meeting at Weller today with Alan Lowe and his team, do you have a telephone no I can call you on to
discuss. Cheers Gary.
mu04ngo

Postby Andy W » Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:09 am

mu04ngo wrote:hi Andy, had a meeting at Weller today with Alan Lowe and his team, do you have a telephone no I can call you on to
discuss. Cheers Gary.

PM sent.
The Sundogs
www.thesundogs.uk
Andy W

Postby Andy W » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:05 am

An update of sorts at last....it took at least three months but....
John (midget) on the other channel has finally been able to collect his rims from Weller, pips repositioned in the correct place. :D

To his credit, John has been very patient with, & magnanimous towards, Weller.

As yet, I do not know what Weller plans to do regarding their Minor rims in the future.
Someone else will have to find that out as I am not popular with Weller for obvious reasons! :roll:

Andy.
The Sundogs
www.thesundogs.uk
Andy W

Previous

Return to Wheels & Tyres