Traveller Wheels

Standard, alternative, alloys too

Traveller Wheels

Postby JohnnieBriggs10 » Sat Oct 22, 2016 7:12 pm

Hello. I am having trouble with my steel wheel rims, I think that they are at the end of their usefulness. Do I simply change them for new ones, or do I go for alloys. I understand that alloys would give me a wider choice of tyres and have the benefit of being tubeless. Can anyone recommend which alloys, what size and I am on a tight budget.
Thank you. Johnnie
JohnnieBriggs10

Great Britain (GB)

Re: Traveller Wheels

Postby The vast minority » Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:03 pm

Hi Johnnie

Could you expand a little on the problems you are facing? Other than serious corrosion, there isn't a great deal to go wrong with a pressed steel wheel.

With the alloy option, you are very limited by the 4 inch PCD, and if the budget is tight it's best not to look at the new ones available.

Al
The vast minority

Awards: 4
Contributions 2014 (1) Contributions 2015 (1) Contributions 2016 (1) Contributions 2017 (1)

United Kingdom (uk)

Postby JohnnieBriggs10 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:40 pm

Hello Vast Minority,

Thank you for your reply. I think it is mainly corrosion. They all need changing and a new set of pressed steel, by Charles Ware, is over £200! I have had four flat tyres in the past twelve months and after hitting one deep pot hole, lost a new tyre. This may well have been my fault as I should have lined the rim with rubber to prevent the bolts from pinching the tube when the rims flex and this is what seemed to have happened in that incident.

Could you explain what a 4inch PCD on an alloy is? I have found someone willing to sell four alloy wheels for a reasonable price with tyres and they have come off a Morris Minor. I am hoping that they will bolt straight on.

Thanks,

Johnnie
JohnnieBriggs10

Great Britain (GB)

Postby woodywoodchipper » Tue Oct 25, 2016 5:36 pm

PCD is the spacing across the studs, on a Morris its 4'' on a lot of moderns its 100mm which is a very close fit but they have a tendency to snapped studs and nuts work loose,

the alloys you have in mind, do you know what make, ie minilites/wolfrace as these were available in correct pcd,

please be aware fitting incorrect wheels can put you and family at risk,

A,

When its done its done (for now)
Derv Turbo Power (Joosed)
woodywoodchipper

Awards: 6
Contributions 2011 (1) Contributions 2012 (1) Contributions 2013 (1) Contributions 2015 (1) Contributions 2016 (1)
Contributions 2017 (1)

United Kingdom (uk) UK Lancashire (lk)

Postby Big Jim » Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:07 pm

Does any one else use inner tubes ?
Big Jim

Awards: 1
Contributions 2016 (1)

Great Britain (GB)

Postby The vast minority » Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:25 pm

I note the PCD question is answered.

You definitely dont need reproduction steel wheels. Good luck if you buy alloys. If they are on a minor then they may be 4 inch or they may be on different hubs so be careful.

Back on the subject of standard wheels, I've got at least 2 , probably 4 with good tyres that are yours free if you arrange post or collection.

I'm located in North Yorkshire , as are my free wheels so it depends on your location.

Others will also,offer you free wheels so please update your profile to include location so we can help.

Al
The vast minority

Awards: 4
Contributions 2014 (1) Contributions 2015 (1) Contributions 2016 (1) Contributions 2017 (1)

United Kingdom (uk)

Postby old english white » Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:53 pm

Big Jim wrote:Does any one else use inner tubes ?

I haven't used them for years. I'm sure most Minors are run tubeless nowadays.
old english white

Postby JohnnieBriggs10 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 7:07 pm

Thank you for your comments and suggestions. The alloys were bought for a Morris, they are minilites and they are fine.
In terms of the inner tubes, the steel rims were so old that they needed inner tubes as they wouldn't work as tubeless!
For now all is well and again thank you.
Now it is time to look at the headlights!
Johnnie
JohnnieBriggs10

Great Britain (GB)

Return to Wheels & Tyres