new tyres!

Standard, alternative, alloys too
timb02
Great Britain

new tyres!

Post by timb02 »

Our traveller came to us with 175/65 on standard rims, which made handling "interesting" so after much prevaricating I have bought 5 Blockley 145/80 and the local garage is fitting them tomorrow. Hopefully the drive should be improved along with more appropriate gearing. Will let you all know the results.
Tim

old english white
England

Contribution Stars

Re: new tyres!

Post by old english white »

It would be most interesting to know how you feel about them. Blockley tyres are generally highly rated. I didn't know they now made them in this size so will follow with interest. I have Bridgestone tyres of that size currently on my Minor and it drives/handles very well on them but good to know of an alternative.

MM
United Kingdom

Post by MM »

Do you have any photos of the car with the 175/65 tyres fitted, out of interest? I once had 175 commercial van tyres fitted to a pair of LP917 van rims on the back of my Traveller! :lol:

Maurice, Kent.
1970 Trafalgar Blue Traveller

http://retrorides.proboards.com/index.c ... read=37056" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

timb02
Great Britain

Post by timb02 »

old english white wrote:
1 week ago
It would be most interesting to know how you feel about them. Blockley tyres are generally highly rated. I didn't know they now made them in this size so will follow with interest. I have Bridgestone tyres of that size currently on my Minor and it drives/handles very well on them but good to know of an alternative.
So far so good! The car suspension is more compliant over bumps and the gearing is better. I have yet to set up a gps to check speedo accuracy. I would say the grip is probably reduced as it is now possible to lock the front wheels under heavy braking however the tyres have done less than 100 miles so are yet to scrub in. I had them fitted without tubes as the last tyres were tubeless and I had no problems with air loss. Running at 30lb pressure which may be a bit high but the garage that fitted them was worrying about the tyres coming off the bead as minor wheels have no safety rim. May drop to 28lb and see how that feels.
Tim

timb02
Great Britain

Post by timb02 »

MM wrote:
1 week ago
Do you have any photos of the car with the 175/65 tyres fitted, out of interest? I once had 175 commercial van tyres fitted to a pair of LP917 van rims on the back of my Traveller! :lol:
Yes however I have no idea how to attach them in a post! will try and find out
Tim

Custard
Ireland

Contribution Stars

Post by Custard »

This may help.

It is Big Al's guide to posting photos.

There has been a forum change since it was written and I have noticed not all photos will enlarge, but the subsequent method for attaching them remains true.

The tab is now just called "Attachments" rather than "Upload Attachments"

Then you get the add file and do the place inline.

I have also found it looks neater if you have a couple of blank lines before and after your photo name after you have done the place inline.

viewtopic.php?f=63&t=8372

Sean.

timb02
Great Britain

Post by timb02 »

Custard wrote:
6 days ago
This may help.

It is Big Al's guide to posting photos.

There has been a forum change since it was written and I have noticed not all photos will enlarge, but the subsequent method for attaching them remains true.

The tab is now just called "Attachments" rather than "Upload Attachments"

Then you get the add file and do the place inline.

I have also found it looks neater if you have a couple of blank lines before and after your photo name after you have done the place inline.

viewtopic.php?f=63&t=8372

Sean.
Thanks for this, I did try to find this post by Big Al, was sure I'd seen it before. Will give it a go!
Tim

timb02
Great Britain

Post by timb02 »

timb02 wrote:
6 days ago
MM wrote:
1 week ago
Yes however I have no idea how to attach them in a post! will try and find out
Tim
98EC2100-CD5B-40BE-9D1D-06380C15C359_1_201_a.jpeg
98EC2100-CD5B-40BE-9D1D-06380C15C359_1_201_a.jpeg (973.85 KiB) Viewed 69 times
98EC2100-CD5B-40BE-9D1D-06380C15C359_1_201_a.jpeg
EXIF-Data show/hide
Original image recording time:
2019:08:21 11:06:24
Image taken on:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:06 am
Focus length:
4.15 mm
Shutter speed:
1/836 Sec
F-number:
f/2.2
ISO speed rating:
Whitebalance:
Auto
Flash:
Flash did not fire, auto mode
Camera-manufacturer:
Apple
Camera-model:
IPhone 6s
Exposure program:
Normal program
Exposure bias:
0 EV
Metering mode:
Pattern
Difficult to see how bulged out they are but this is probably the best pic I have

Tim

Custard
Ireland

Contribution Stars

Post by Custard »

Looks good and retains the standard look.

Useful to have options too as I have Minor Wheels with narrow tyres on my trailer and would have to change the mudguards to fit wider ones on.

They roll better than Mini ones with less bounce when empty and when the first one was built meant I didn't need a spare as it was the same as my traveller, though that no longer applies.

Sean.

old english white
England

Contribution Stars

Post by old english white »

I would expect the steering to feel much improved with new 145 section tyres fitted. 175 section on standard wheels are much too wide :shock: