New wider wheels

Standard, alternative, alloys too
Zetecalex

New wider wheels

Post by Zetecalex »

After collecting these at the national, I have given them a couple of coats of black hammerite, fitted some nice new 175 65 R14's on the rears, and some second hand 165 70 R14's on the front. (being a poor student, and these were lying around spare) I used the tyre fitting and balancing equipment at the raceteam I am volunteering at over the summer, very satisfying fitting them yourself.  
Before photos.

Looking nice and wide, 5J compared to original 3.5J. (Even slightly wider than van rims at 4.5J :)) 175 v's 155.
Bit close to the top trunnion, but not rubbing on this or the tre. Only suitable for marina front discs as they have a 10mm greater offset.
New wheels fitted.
After photo!
Would like to say a big thankyou to Graeme, (2fry) for making these wheels up! Very skilled, and really well made. (also happens to be a great guy to chat to) :D Been out for the first drive, and they grip really well, delighted with them!
Next step will be to hopefully lower the car a spline on the front, and 1.5" blocks on the back as she's sitting a bit high, and possibly some plain hub caps too :) (When funds eventually allow..)

Modified 64 2 door  Project 51 lowlight

Mecanglais
Formally known as chesney
France

Contribution Stars

Post by Mecanglais »

I can also vouch for 2frys wheely good wheels (sorry :oops:) Transform the handling, much more focused around the corners..

2fry
Scotland

Contribution Stars

MMO Annual Award

Post by 2fry »

Looking good Alex...just needs a pinstrip now :-)

How did they balance up?

G.

Zetecalex

Post by Zetecalex »

Will see :P Might match the silver grill now, or might paint that black too..
They balanced up alright, no major run out, about 40 was the most, so nothing major at all :)
Pm sent.

chrisryder
I beat the Great MMO Challenge!

Post by chrisryder »

Go on... go for the black grill :)

grille should always match the wheels in my opinion.

aftramirez43

Post by aftramirez43 »

Did you put 165's in the front because of clearance issues or because u did not have 175's to put in the front as well. Also if you have lowered it since this post how is riding, I am planning to do the same to my Traveller

minormadman
Deceased Member
Deceased Member

Contribution Stars

MMO Annual Award

Post by minormadman »

Nice Alex,looking good.
I never took a pic of my "2fryWOA's", side on,when they were laying flat on the ground, that really shows the difference. Also I did not have the presence of mind to take a pics-showing the wheel rims off to their best advantage looking at them from the side when on the car-well done.

"What goes around-comes around"

"You never know when its your turn next-so be as good as you can be"

Phillip Mellor-Grimethorpe school teacher, 1959

MM
United Kingdom

Post by MM »

aftramirez43:76740 wrote:Did you put 165's in the front because of clearance issues or because u did not have 175's to put in the front as well. Also if you have lowered it since this post how is riding, I am planning to do the same to my Traveller
I lowered my Traveller back in the early '90s, by 1.5" all round using lowering blocks at the back and one spline round of the front torsion bars.

I found it superb on motorways, with a nicely planted, almost go-kartish feel, but pretty awful on the pot-holed country roads here in East Kent (very crashy and jarring), so I reverted back to standard.

In any case, the rear springs have now sagged so much over 42 years that it is quite a bit lower than when it was new.

Maurice, Kent.
1970 Trafalgar Blue Traveller

http://retrorides.proboards.com/index.c ... read=37056" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

aftramirez43

Post by aftramirez43 »

sounds good, I'm hoping to do that next weekend. Do you remember what size tires you had?

MM
United Kingdom

Post by MM »

I had 175 ones on LP917 van wheels on the back, and 165 Continental tyres on standard rims on the front (which looked a bit ballooney, to be honest!)

I now have LP917 van rims with 165R14 tyres all round:

Maurice, Kent.
1970 Trafalgar Blue Traveller

http://retrorides.proboards.com/index.c ... read=37056" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Zetecalex

Post by Zetecalex »

I fitted 165's because I had them already, saved me buying another 2 new tyres. I haven left it standard height, and it handles well, all be itslightly understeery as its too stiff at the front end but thats damper related not wheels.

Ian_B
New Poster

Re: New wider wheels

Post by Ian_B »

agree they did look a little balloony