Winter Tyres

Standard, alternative, alloys too
Cricket
United Kingdom

Winter Tyres

Post by Cricket »

I need to put winter tyres on my '67 4 door saloon, but my lovely local mechanic can't find any 155/80r14 to match what's on there. He has asked me to check with you if 165/70x14 would be a good alternative? Thanks for your help :)

Custard
Ireland

Contribution Stars

Re: Winter Tyres

Post by Custard »

He has probably used something like this.

https://tiresize.com/comparison/

If you put your sizes in you will be down around 3 mph on what you have now for any given rpm.
Tyre Sizes.jpg
Tyre Sizes.jpg (92.75 KiB) Viewed 72 times
Tyre Sizes.jpg
Sean.

Cricket
United Kingdom

Post by Cricket »

Thanks Sean, other than the mph being slightly "out" (and I'm driving on small country roads so speed really isn't an issue) they would presumably be fine then? Forgive my ignorance, I had no understanding of what difference it would make...I thought he was checking about sizes :oops:

thanks for your help :)

Mecanglais
Formally known as chesney
France

Contribution Stars

Post by Mecanglais »

I had some 165/70 14 winter tyres on standard rims, as long as they are regarded as strictly 'winter rims' it'll be fine, 165 is really too wide for a standard 3.5" rim, but they never looked out of place on mine, maybe luck of the draw. As I say, as long as they are purely for winter driving (and driven as such) they will be fine.

My Traveller, a couple of winters back, was perfectly capable with the winter tyres as above and a slot of cardboard wedged in front of the radiator. And a spare few breeze blocks in the back for ballast. Even in snow drifts 3 feet high, it never once complained, passing even a Range Rover, who had given up. It did give the front number plate a pasting though, it eventually broke off, to my dismay, perhaps something to think about!

Cricket
United Kingdom

Post by Cricket »

Thank you mecanglais, that's really helpful - I will show all of this to the mechanic and we'll take it from there, I am learning fast :D