wren1710
United Kingdom

Contribution Stars

gear lever anti rattle o ring?

Post by wren1710 »

Hi,
My gear lever rattles a bit over 40mph. I found this on ebay
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MORRIS-MINOR ... 1438.l2649
It looks like its just a rubber O ring to sit around the base of the lever but question is; is it going to work? is it worth it?

Image Image

PoolGuy
England

Re: gear lever anti rattle o ring?

Post by PoolGuy »

It could work if your gearstick doesn’t have it fitted or the one that is fitted is perished. When you take the gearstick out, check that the spring and plastic cup are present and correct too.

wren1710
United Kingdom

Contribution Stars

Post by wren1710 »

Oh :shock: I thought it just slid over the gear stick from the top and sat under the gaiter :oops: Thats too much work for me to do. guess I'll just let it rattle :roll:

Image Image

Mecanglais
Formally known as chesney
France

Contribution Stars

Post by Mecanglais »

It's a really simple process, hard to muck up.

Box in neutral. Remove the 6 self tappers around the gearstick gaiter.

(Don't necessarily have to remove the gear knob but you can do, and slide the gaiter off).

Remove the 3 bolts around the gear lever mounting plate (1/4 bolts, 7/16 spanner/socket, 11mm fits).

Lift the plate and lever out as one, examine the plate isn't worn or cracked/lifting around the lever. Around the bottom of the gear lever ball is a ridge, this is where the O ring goes.

As above, well worth (after all this effort) changing the nylon cup and spring as well. I find the easiest way of removing the nylon cup is with a long wood screw. The sockets can be a bit stiff sometimes as they have worn into the socket or got clogged with old grease. There is a small hole in the centre of the nylon cup, simply screw the wood screw into the cup and lift it out. Then you just need to fish the spring out of the socket with an angled pick.

To refit these, I use a long-ish thin crosshead screwdriver, hold the spring up the driver by the base, then insert the pointy end in the socket and release the spring, it should drop simply into the socket, no risk of dropping it in the 'bowels' of the box. The nylon cup can be refitted in the same way as removal, liberally grease the cup, just wind it onto the woodscrew a tiny bit, enough to grip it, insert the cup into the spring, push down gently, twist anticlockwise and remove woodscrew.

Then just a question of refitting the O ring, lever, plate and gaiter.

Also worth checking the little side plunger, you should have a small brass sprung plunger on one side (sort of 5 o'clock with the bell housing to the front) just under the plate, this keeps slight pressure on the gear lever. Sometimes these are badly worn, or completely missing if someone has been ham fisted when removing or refitting the lever. I don't know if these bits are available new, the way to fit these is to remove the plug on the outside face of the gearbox remote (it's quite big, 11/16 or 3/4 spanner from memory), fish out the remnants (plunger and spring), refit the lever, fit the brass plunger through the plug side, then the spring, then refit the plug.

Panky
United Kingdom

Post by Panky »

Probably best to remove the plunger and spring before pulling the gear stick in case it goes boing, I found mine in the bottom of the gearbox :?

Ted the 1971 Bermuda Blue Traveller
'91 Mini Cooper
1971 Commer Auto-Sleeper
!969 Commer Jennings Roadranger

Mecanglais
Formally known as chesney
France

Contribution Stars

Post by Mecanglais »

Panky wrote:
4 months ago
Probably best to remove the plunger and spring before pulling the gear stick in case it goes boing, I found mine in the bottom of the gearbox :?
The side plunger?

Generally if you remove the gear lever in a gentle fashion the spring is de-tensioned gradually, I have never had to remove the side plunger before removing the lever, on any box I have worked on, but I guess if you are unsure, it's not a bad move.