Changing to Redline MT90 fully synthetic

Standard & modified running gear
Pete Bags

Changing to Redline MT90 fully synthetic

Post by Pete Bags »

I am thinking of switching my 1963 1098 ribbed gearbox oil from mineral to fully synthetic. I have been very happy after switching my engine oil to fully synthetic Millers 20-50 (see the Engine section for my write up), so before switching the gearbox oil, I'd like to ask if anyone else has put in Redline MT90 75W-90 GL4, and what their experience has been. My gearbox has been fairly recently overhauled, new bearings etc, and is currently leak free. My biggest reason for wishing to switch is to make use of the superior protection of the oil sticking to the gears when the car is standing for extended periods over the winter months, due to the smaller oil molecules that synthetic oil has.

Many thanks!

Pete Bags

Re: Changing to Redline MT90 fully synthetic

Post by Pete Bags »

Update: After writing the post above, I did switch to using the Redline MT90 in the gearbox. So far I am delighted - the gear change is a little bit slicker - I put this down to the fact the oil is thinner than a standard 20:50 engine oil. The protective properties of the oil, especially when the car is not used for prolonged periods of time over winter, were the main drivers for me swapping to MT90. If I find or note any further benefits or even issues with the oil, I will report back.

Happy and safe motoring to you all.

Sleeper
MMO Button

Post by Sleeper »

How much was it?

John ;-)

Pete Bags

Post by Pete Bags »

Hi John,

I see what you're doing! :D

Cost of the MT90? About £40 for two litres. Compared to bog standard 20:50 oil of course it looks expensive. But if the long term benefits and nicer driving experience are taken into account, it's cheap at the price! I'm driving around 3,000 miles a year in my moggy, so with all the fuel costs added as well, along with insurance etc, the added extra few pounds for an item which can help protect and lengthen the life of the gearbox, the extra cost is tiny. When the value of the car is several thousand pounds (the emotional value, as all of us moggy owners will know, is of course priceless!) then I am happy to spend a bit more on quality oils and petrol to protect my lovely Doris into even older age!

As I mentioned on another forum, when I was born, many of the medicines used to keep me going now did not exist - if I simply used the medicines and treatments available and suggested back then, would I still be around today? Of course those older medicines are usually cheaper..... And the same is true with car oils and fuels - technology and science has moved on in the 60 years since my car's service manual was written!

Happy (and good value!) motoring,

Pete

Sleeper
MMO Button

Post by Sleeper »

Was just asking as when I fitted a 5-speed to the Lotus Elan , people were suggesting the Redline MT90 to help with the notchy gearchange and I remember that at the time it was expensive... but sad to say it made no difference at all ( apart from lightening my wallet ) . in the end 20/50 was put back in ( as the internals were Maxi derived )..and fettling of the linkage helped...

John ;-)

Pete Bags

Post by Pete Bags »

Ah yes, the infamous Maxi gearbox! I'm not sure even the oils from the gods could fix that! :lol:

In my case, the gearbox was overhauled, and has no problems - the oil hasn't 'fixed' anything, just made a good box change gear a bit better and I'd like to keep it that way!

I must admit that the Lotus Elan is one of my bucket list cars to own one day!

Sleeper
MMO Button

Post by Sleeper »

Well get it quick before you have problems getting in/out of it , and be prepared for dazzling on-coming headlights..

John :lol: