Main shaft bearing removal

Standard & modified running gear

Main shaft bearing removal

Postby mark wilson » Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:18 pm

I've dismantled my 1275 Midget box ready for renewal of bearings and baulk rings. I'm stuck, though, or rather the large bearing at the rear of the third motion shaft is. Is there a way to remove it without a hydraulic press or puller? Not keen to cut or break it, in view of the potential for damage to the shaft.

Msrk
mark wilson

United Kingdom (uk)

Re: Main shaft bearing removal

Postby Lurch » Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:45 pm

I just bashed mine off, ie drifted it rearwards, it doesn't matter as you're replacing it with new bearing anyway.
When installing a new one, heat the bearing in the oven for a short time and it will just drop on with no need to do any brutality to the new bearing !
I'm literally just doing all this malarkey myself this evening !
Lurch

Great Britain (GB) Jolly Roger (.f)

Postby emjay » Thu Dec 22, 2016 5:30 pm

I'm sure whether you are talking about removing it from the gearbox or from the shat itself. In either case the speedo drive pinion clamping nut can be used after making the appropriate adapter to either bear on the casing or to grab the bearing.
emjay

Postby mark wilson » Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:41 pm

I think my main problem was that I didn't understand that the diagrams and instructions for the 1098 box don't translate directly to the 1275 box. On the 1275 you can't get a hammer to the bearing as first and second gears can't be removed until after the bearing, as the shaft has a permanent flange between second and third. In the end I cut the bearing with a Dremel and chisel with no damage to the shaft. Spent most of the afternoon removing the retaining ring behind third - on the 1275 this has not one, but two springs and plungers! Still trying to work out how to put this back together......

Like the sound of using the case and speedo drive nut as an extractor, but I'd cut it before I saw this.

Thanks both, and good luck with yours Lurch. We know how to have fun, don't we?

Mark
Attachments
DSCF9167-1.jpg
First and second in front of bearing
DSCF9164.jpg
Flange on shaft retaining gears
DSCF9174.jpg
Shaft showing flange
DSCF9168.jpg
Bearing after application of BFI...
mark wilson

United Kingdom (uk)

Postby Lurch » Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:57 pm

Indeed deep joy mate!
Anyway glad to see you've got yours apart ok.
I got quite a good price on bearings, gaskets and all the little bits etc etc from Sussex Classic car parts btw.
Lurch

Great Britain (GB) Jolly Roger (.f)

Return to Axle, Gearbox & Diff