Axle number location

Standard & modified running gear

Axle number location

Postby bugsy » Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:44 pm

Does anyone have an accurate description, photo or drawing of exactly where the axle number is stamped and how big the characters are. I've been scraping and looking all over my axle without success and may need it as an additional identifier for my car (evidence for DVLA). It left the factory in May 1967, so fairly late model. Or, like bulkheads, did the odd one escape getting stamped?!
bugsy
New Poster

Great Britain (GB)

Re: Axle number location

Postby Panky » Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:29 pm

Also posted elsewhere ;)
I've just had the angle grinder and a flapper disc on my spare casing and cleaned the lot. The only place I can see where there could be a number is on the top of the off side tube about two thirds of the way towards the diff housing. Unfortunately this is where the pitting was worse but there are no signs of any stamping anywhere else

Panky

United Kingdom (uk) UK England (.g)

Postby old english white » Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:45 am

bugsy wrote:Does anyone have an accurate description, photo or drawing of exactly where the axle number is stamped and how big the characters are. I've been scraping and looking all over my axle without success and may need it as an additional identifier for my car (evidence for DVLA). It left the factory in May 1967, so fairly late model. Or, like bulkheads, did the odd one escape getting stamped?!

"The rear axle number is stamped on the front of the left hand axle tube adjacent to the spring seat" according to the BMC parts book.
I've not seen a car which "escaped" the bulkhead stamping but that position changed in 1965 and the number was, instead, stamped into the front right hand floor pan. Unfortunately of course, some cars have had the floor pan replaced due to corrosion by now.
old english white

Postby Panky » Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:23 am

That would explain why I couldn't find a number, at least I've got a nice clean casing now almost ready for paint :)
Panky

United Kingdom (uk) UK England (.g)

Return to Axle, Gearbox & Diff