axle oil leak 1958 traveller

Standard & modified running gear

axle oil leak 1958 traveller

Postby jackspratt » Mon Sep 05, 2016 1:27 pm

My car is jacked up with the rear wheels off and there has been a small pool of oil looking stuff under the rear drum.There are no brakes on the car at the moment so it is unlikely to be brake fluid.Any ideas on what it is likely to be the cause and if possible as to what I need to do to cure it,thanks, Roger
jackspratt

England (en)

Re: axle oil leak 1958 traveller

Postby Panky » Mon Sep 05, 2016 2:48 pm

Could it be that brake fluid has dribbled out of an open pipe or cylinder? The oil used in the axle has a distinctive smell and is easily identified, look for any signs of oil running down the back, or inside, the back plate. If you have the wheels and drums off it could be that the joint behind the halfshaft flange has opened up slightly and allowed a little oil to drip out.
Panky

United Kingdom (uk) UK England (.g)

Postby jackspratt » Mon Sep 05, 2016 4:09 pm

Thanks Panky,I will try and get the drum off to see if it is obvious where it is coming from.When you say that the oil used in the back axle has a distinctive smeel,is it hypoid 80? because that stinks?If it is the joint/halfshaft flange do I try and tighten it or does it reuire a new seal?Thanks Roger
jackspratt

England (en)

Postby Panky » Mon Sep 05, 2016 4:40 pm

It should be EP90, that stinks too ;)
If the gasket or seal is leaking you will see signs of oil running down the back plate where the half shaft goes into the axle casing. The half shaft is only held in place with one small screw and the pressure to seal the gasket is supplied when the wheel nuts are tightened up, so if it's been on stands with the wheels off for some time the joint could have started to leak, if this is the case then clean the oil off the back plate and put the wheels back on to see if that cures it. Other than that it could be the seal which, I believe, isn't a difficult job although not done it myself.
Also make sure the brake shoes haven't been contaminated with oil, they will need replacing if they have :(
Panky

Postby jackspratt » Mon Sep 05, 2016 5:51 pm

Thanks again Panky,the wheels have been off for anbout 5 days and I don't remember any signs of oil when the wheel was on,so your explanation makes a lot of sense.I will however clean the back plate and will be replacing the shoes and the wheel cylinders,so once again,thankyou for your advice.
jackspratt

England (en)

Postby Panky » Mon Sep 05, 2016 5:58 pm

You are most welcome, hopefully that's all it will be :)
Panky

Return to Axle, Gearbox & Diff