Replacement collected today, With luck its a good un.

Standard & modified running gear
The vast minority

Contribution Stars

Replacement collected today, With luck its a good un.

Post by The vast minority »

Paid £40 as it is an unknown. Vendor claimed it selects all gears but knows nothing other than that.

I'm undecided whether to just try it in the car or to strip and examine/rebuild first.

I suppose its a case of "do you feel lucky punk, well do you?" :D

Any simple tests I could do before I waste a lot of time rebuilding or fitting it to have to take it straight back out again?

I don't fancy crawling on the floor so it will be engine out. Its sitting in the van for the moment, I've not touched it yet.

20201101_080916.jpg
20201101_080916.jpg (646.97 KiB) Viewed 84 times
20201101_080916.jpg
EXIF-Data show/hide
Original image recording time:
2020:11:01 08:09:17
Image taken on:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:09 am
Focus length:
4.3 mm
Shutter speed:
1/50 Sec
F-number:
f/2.4
ISO speed rating:
Whitebalance:
Auto
Flash:
Flash did not fire
Camera-manufacturer:
Samsung
Camera-model:
SM-N976B
Exposure program:
Normal program
Exposure bias:
0 EV
Metering mode:
Center-weighted average

Sleeper
MMO Button

Re: Replacement collected today, With luck its a good un.

Post by Sleeper »

Fit it, with a view to real-world testing , with a view of it needing a rebuild knowing it's faults...

Plenty of lockdown time coming.

John ;-)

The vast minority

Contribution Stars

Sleeper wrote:
3 weeks ago
Fit it, with a view to real-world testing , with a view of it needing a rebuild knowing it's faults...

Plenty of lockdown time coming.

John ;-)
A sound suggestion John, I think I will do exactly that.
Will pop it on the bench this afternoon and drain the water/oil/bananas out of it. ill post the result here.
If its oil, ill put it back in, then install the box and give it a run around the village a few times before changing oil if all is good.

He who dares..... :D

Cheers
Al

The vast minority

Contribution Stars

Goes OK with the electric drill on the input shaft. No oil in it but no bananas or water either.

Input shaft has a fair bit of lateral movement, not measured it but it feels like too much.

Ill break out the Haynes and see what the allowable movement should be if it is documented, it could need new bearings by the feel of it.

Al

Edit, If I remember rightly there is a brass bush that goes on the end of the input shaft and locates in the flywheel so maybe its going to be ok after all....

Al

Mecanglais
Formally known as chesney
France

Contribution Stars

Post by Mecanglais »

They will all have a bit of lateral play in the input shaft, as you say, the spigot bush should stabilise it.

I would certainly, at minimum, take the side cover off before fitting it, to check for 'bananas', or.maybe even sawdust :D

Have a look at second gear synchro, normally gets the most worn, compare it to 4th gear. Make sure to check movement on second gear as well, they are prone to wear. And the condition of the gears, particularly first/reverse, they tend to get a hard time being non-synchro.

The vast minority

Contribution Stars

Mecanglais wrote:
3 weeks ago
They will all have a bit of lateral play in the input shaft, as you say, the spigot bush should stabilise it.

I would certainly, at minimum, take the side cover off before fitting it, to check for 'bananas', or.maybe even sawdust :D

Have a look at second gear synchro, normally gets the most worn, compare it to 4th gear. Make sure to check movement on second gear as well, they are prone to wear. And the condition of the gears, particularly first/reverse, they tend to get a hard time being non-synchro.
Hi, long time no see. I think it would have been the 2nd MMO event at Pateley, I was in Kermit back then.

Thanks for the tips, Ill do as you suggest, its only 30 mins with a tea break to check so ill crack on and do that.

The currently fitted box sounds like a bag of nails in first and reverse
Cheers
Al

Mecanglais
Formally known as chesney
France

Contribution Stars

Post by Mecanglais »

The vast minority wrote:
3 weeks ago
Hi, long time no see. I think it would have been the 2nd MMO event at Pateley, I was in Kermit back then.

Thanks for the tips, Ill do as you suggest, its only 30 mins with a tea break to check so ill crack on and do that.

The currently fitted box sounds like a bag of nails in first and reverse
Cheers
Al
That must have been a while ago, I can't even remember what I was in that time, maybe the blue one. Or maybe the green one :think

As you say, quick enough to check. Just make sure you don't disturb the two springs that are trapped under the cover, if you haven't had one off before.

I have had one that committed suicide by virtue of the casting to hold the reverse idler gear pin sheering off, had a bit of a shock to find the gear 'falling out' when the cover was removed!

Custard
Ireland

Contribution Stars

Post by Custard »

Re:- "Edit, If I remember rightly there is a brass bush that goes on the end of the input shaft and locates in the flywheel so maybe its going to be ok after all..."

The spigot bush is actually an interference fit in the flywheel. If you put it on the Input shaft first it will either slide to the splines and be of no use or make the gearbox impossible to install.

So the old one should be in the flywheel on the car when the box is removed.

It is a phosphor bronze bush and I was told that if replacing them you should ideally soak them in oil for a while first, I just submerge them in engine oil the night before.

Make sure there is one. A friend of mine kept telling me how he could fit a gearbox easier than I could and he had fitted a few. Then one day a watched him and true enough he just popped the gearbox in no trouble. So easy I made him take it out and when i looked he had no spigot bearing in so the input shaft was waggling and explained why he had trashed a few gearboxes.

Sean.