Rear Axle Hub Oil Seals

Standard & modified running gear

Rear Axle Hub Oil Seals

Postby jimmy-d » Fri May 11, 2018 3:07 am

Hi all,
After a small bit of advice,am replacing the bearings etc in my rear axle,have got them almost totally stripped down and the hubs are removed from the axle and have bought a repair kit from ESM. My difficulty is that I can not remove the very rear oil seal that is seated into the back of the hub behind the bearing. I am not sure if it is just a really tight fit or even possibly been stuck in but it will not come out and I dont want to start hacking at stuff and creating myself issues further down the road so any removal advice is much appreciated.Thanks.
how can you work to a budget when you own a morris minor?
jimmy-d

Re: Rear Axle Hub Oil Seals

Postby TeHoro » Fri May 11, 2018 7:57 am

Well, it has to come out one way or the other.

I don't recall having major problems last time I did mine. Does the seal overlap the hole in the back of the hub so you can use a punch?

Otherwise put the hub studs down and use a screwdriver or something hammered down into the seal, or maybe use some side cutters to weaken the seal itself.

TeHoro

New Zealand (nz)

Postby jimmy-d » Fri May 11, 2018 9:05 am

Thats sort of what I was thinking but didnt want to damage any important faces or flanges but it is currently well and truly stuch.I would not be surprised if it was glued in somehow considering other aspects of this build.Thanks
jimmy-d

Postby emjay » Fri May 11, 2018 2:44 pm

I use a right angle screwdriver that can be pushed in between the seal and the shoulder it sits. Granted it's an very old screwdriver with a very thin blade.
emjay

Postby jimmy-d » Sat May 12, 2018 1:47 am

Thanks everyone,result achieved! Just bit the bullet and used a bit more persuasion and knocked it out from the rear. Now to wait for my replacements.
jimmy-d

Return to Axle, Gearbox & Diff