Flat battery?

Standard & electronic conversions

Flat battery?

Postby seafret » Sun Jun 26, 2016 1:41 pm

Be kind, I have as much mechanical knowledge as Donald Trump has political correctness.

I have a 2 door 1970 saloon which has seen better days. I am doing a crap job of restoring her, mishap by mishap. I have a local mechanic who doesn't laugh too much at my mistakes.

Problem. Left indicator stopped working. I messed around with the loom connector bit under the bonnet, taking wires out and plugging them back in in case one had come free. I thought I put everything back on correctly...

Tried to start her up today - Nothing. No attempt for engine to turn over, no warning lights.

Have I killed her by messing around or maybe my battery has just gone flat over night?

Thank you in advance for any help.
seafret
New Poster

Re: Flat battery?

Postby The vast minority » Sun Jun 26, 2016 3:07 pm

Hello there and welcome along :D

Best thing you can do is go to Maplins and buy a cheap multi tester.
Do this and then report back, no one here will be condescending towards you, we all have to start somewhere.

We like pics as well if you would like to share.

Al
The vast minority

Awards: 4
Contributions 2014 (1) Contributions 2015 (1) Contributions 2016 (1) Contributions 2017 (1)

United Kingdom (uk)

Postby Plin » Sun Jun 26, 2016 4:07 pm

:D Welcome to the forum - don't worry we're here to help as we've all had those 'help' moments!
Plin

Awards: 9
Contributions 2011 (1) Contributions 2012 (1) Contributions 2013 (1) Contributions 2014 (1) Contributions 2015 (1)
Contributions 2016 (1) Contributions 2017 (1) MMO Annual Award 2016 (1) MMO Top Tester (1)

Postby austin » Sun Jun 26, 2016 4:53 pm

Seafret, to try and answer your questions...

It is not likely that you touching the connections to the indicators and lights was the cause of your present problem.

Possibly you now have a flat battery, but there are lots of other things that can cause your electrical problems.

Someone mentioned a multi-tester, and yes that is what you need. It used to be called a multimeter. You need something that will read volts. You can then connect it to various points in a circuit and test what voltage you have. It can also be done with a test-light. A test light can be easier to understand as you don't need to know all the numbers, it either lights, doesn't, or it might glow rather dull.
austin

Postby bmcecosse » Sun Jun 26, 2016 6:46 pm

Does anything come on? Headlights ?? Ign light/oil warning light ? Is the fuel pump clicking? Wires must always be joined SAME colour to SAME colour - look again at what you did - are the colours same both sides of every connector?

bmcecosse
Deceased Member
Deceased Member

Awards: 3
Contributions 2012 (1) Contributions 2014 (1) MMO Annual Award 2017 (1)

Return to Ignition, Carburetion & Fuel