exhaust manifolds

Standard & electronic conversions

exhaust manifolds

Postby geezer » Sat Feb 06, 2016 4:38 pm

I didn't see a specific exhaust topic so I'm posting here since this deals with expelling used gas.

When I bought my Morris it has a Midget intake manifold, MG1100 carbs, and the MG 1100 tin header. The whole mess was cobbled on and leaky.
IMG_0461.JPG

Since I am no fan of headers I looked into using a cast iron manifold. In my search I found many entries saying that the late 1275 Midget manifold would not fit. Taking that to heart I looked at the Rover Mini manifold. That one looked promising with the exception it has a dual outlet.
mini manifold.jpg

IMG_0462.JPG

The challenge with the Mini manifold was getting a pipe to attach to the exhaust system. I hatched a cunning plan. At work I had a turbo outlet from a Perkins 400 series. The inlet aligned with the dual outlet on the manifold and created a single outlet. All I had to do now is get it adapted. A friend of mine took on the task of making an adaptor plate for me.
IMG_0485.JPG

IMG_0487.JPG

IMG_0464.JPG

Unfortunately when I test fit the manifold this arrange wouldn't work out on the 1098 and retain the crankcase vent. It does fit the 1275. I'll revisit the Mini manifold when the 1275 engine goes in the car.
Back to the Midget manifold.
late midget.jpg

I test fit the Midget manifold on my rust bucket parts car. Frankly I don't see why Midget is such a challenge to fit. Technically the bend at the outlet might be sharp but this is a street driven car not a hi-po race car. The point of this exercise is to get rid of exhaust leaks. With the manifold installed it was easy to fabricate a pipe to exit the engine bay properly.
IMG_0438 small.jpg

IMG_0437.JPG

From there the hook up to the exhaust system was easy. As a side note I truly dislike slip fit connections in an exhaust system. Because of that I either welded the connections or made provisions for flange and gasket connections. Now I have a leak free exhaust.
IMG_0468.JPG

Charlie durning
Give an Englishman a car and he'll make it leak
geezer

United States (us) US Mississippi (ft)

Re: exhaust manifils

Postby bmcecosse » Sat Feb 06, 2016 6:05 pm

Good work there - but you will do better with a large single SU carb, rather than the 'tiny twins' that would fit that inlet manifold. The cam follower cover breather is not essential - as long as you provide breathers in the rocker cover -and the timing case cover.

bmcecosse
Deceased Member
Deceased Member

Awards: 2
Contributions 2012 (1) Contributions 2014 (1)

Re: exhaust manifils

Postby Panky » Sat Feb 06, 2016 6:38 pm

Excellent :) I've been thinking about that for a while and now I can see how easy it is to make it fit. Just need to find a reasonably priced manifold now :shock:
Panky

United Kingdom (uk) UK England (.g)

Return to Ignition, Carburetion & Fuel