Which inlet manifold for HIF44

Standard & electronic conversions
Jamiexr2
Scotland

Contribution Stars

Which inlet manifold for HIF44

Post by Jamiexr2 »

Hello everybody
I've got an Ital A+ 1275 fitted with an 1 1/2 inch carb.
Do I need a different inlet when I upgrade to the Hif44?🤔
👍

Custard
Ireland

Contribution Stars

Re: Which inlet manifold for HIF44

Post by Custard »

To get the most out of it you would as there will be roughly a 3mm step on the inlet manifold.

Also I am not sure if the HIF 44 is a 4 bolt one, you will need to check that.

On the HIFs the number denotes the size in mm so the HIF44 is around 1 3/4" and the 38 equates to the 1 1/2" you have.

On the HS's the number denotes the number of 1/8ths above an inch. so 2= 1 1/4, 4= 1 1/2 6 = 1 3/4.

Unless you have tuned the 1275 you may be better off with a suitably needled HIF38.

Hopefully some one who has done it will give you a definitive answer. I got a HIF38 and stuck it on and it ran ok so I haven't even checked what needle is in it.

Sean.

Jamiexr2
Scotland

Contribution Stars

Post by Jamiexr2 »

Cheers. I probably don't even need it, just want it as I've got too much time on my hands these days. 😁

Custard
Ireland

Contribution Stars

Post by Custard »

I had a quick look, it is a 4 bolt fitting so you would need a manifold to suit.

You always need more power :D

If you get the chance of one and a manifold at a price that suits you I would take it if you think you may be enhancing the engine later, but I think the 38 and a manifold would be more common as the 44s and 1 3/4 before them would have been more popular on larger engines like tuned MGBs which are 1800s.

Sean.

MM
United Kingdom

Post by MM »

I would personally fit a HIF44 to a 1275, as per most 1990s Austin-Rover A-series applications.

They are indeed 4-bolt fitting, and there are plenty of alloy inlet manifolds available, some crop up quite cheaply on E-bay, etc.

You are best leaving the water heating pipes unconnected, as warming the inlet manifold actually reduces power slightly (it was done as a fuel economy measure, to aid with cold starting).

I have such a setup on my 1275 Midget-engined Traveller (Flowtech alloy inlet manifold), and it has run well for years.

Maurice, Kent.
1970 Trafalgar Blue Traveller

http://retrorides.proboards.com/index.c ... read=37056" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;