Ticking petrol pump

Standard & electronic conversions
bumpy
Great Britain

Ticking petrol pump

Post by bumpy »

Obviously the pump needs to tick to deliver petrol.

BUT today I was messing with the radio which meant having the ignition on for 5-10 minutes, but engine not stated. During this time the pump primed itself, but carried on with a single tick every 10 to 15 seconds. No leaks or smell of petrol around the carb, so is this normal?

Morris Minor 2 door saloon May 1963 in dove grey. 83,000 on original engine. Known as Moggy Moo.
Heated front and rear screens, disc brakes on front, heater, radio, refitted interior including new seats, electronic ignition.

Mecanglais
Formally known as chesney
France

Contribution Stars

Re: Ticking petrol pump

Post by Mecanglais »

Yes, normal.

If you are going to be leaving the ignition on though, it helps to disconnect the fuel pump and the coil low tension wire to prevent damage. The coil will not take kindly (if the points are closed) to being hooked up for long periods of time, it might well explode.

bumpy
Great Britain

Post by bumpy »

Mecanglais wrote:
2 weeks ago
Yes, normal.

If you are going to be leaving the ignition on though, it helps to disconnect the fuel pump and the coil low tension wire to prevent damage. The coil will not take kindly (if the points are closed) to being hooked up for long periods of time, it might well explode.
Thanks for the info on the pump. I guess when it is pulling fuel up from the tank there is a need to keep itself primed, hence the ticking.

Regarding the warning on the overheating of the coil, it was one of the things I was told about over 50 years ago when I first stated DIY working on cars. :positive:

Morris Minor 2 door saloon May 1963 in dove grey. 83,000 on original engine. Known as Moggy Moo.
Heated front and rear screens, disc brakes on front, heater, radio, refitted interior including new seats, electronic ignition.

Mecanglais
Formally known as chesney
France

Contribution Stars

Post by Mecanglais »

Glad to hear it, sorry, wasn't sure if you were aware.

Ref pump tick, ticking is no problem. When it stops ticking is the time to worry!

One of my Moggies must still have a severe dent under the battery box, where, as a poor student, when I felt the engine falter I would quickly reach over to the passenger footwell, retrieve my rubber hammer and whack the underside.of the pump to keep it going!

emjay

Post by emjay »

Your symptom of a slow tick during no fuel use could indicate that the lower valve is leaking and sending fuel back to the tank. Take out the upper valve assembly, put the fitting back on and see if you can blow back through the pump.

bumpy
Great Britain

Post by bumpy »

emjay wrote:
2 weeks ago
Your symptom of a slow tick during no fuel use could indicate that the lower valve is leaking and sending fuel back to the tank. Take out the upper valve assembly, put the fitting back on and see if you can blow back through the pump.
Thanks, that's now on my very long to do list. :thumbup:
If I find lower valve is letting by, is it a serviceable item?

emjay

Post by emjay »

I think the valve discs are available. The lower seat is part of the pump body so if it has a nick in it, it will need to be dressed.

emjay

Post by emjay »

I was doing some adjustments on a pump which meant emptying the fuel and upon checking it I was observing similar symptoms. A somewhat dry pump and an air in the line to the carb will cause the pump to be pumping air but with the bowl full it's just air in the valves and they slowly leak, so the pump will tick once in a while.