Does a standing Minor lose fuel somehow?

Standard & electronic conversions

Does a standing Minor lose fuel somehow?

Postby GraemeT » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:13 pm

Hi
Bit of a cryptic title but here's the story: Moggie sat for about four weeks around Christmas - started it up every week and gave it a little trundle back and forth in the yard no trouble. Fourth week fuel pump keeps clicking and no start, Assumed air lock or something like that blocking fuel from reaching the pump.

Finally got around to looking at it today - no fuel getting to the pump at all (used one of those gadgets for sucking oil up a dipstick tube).

Stuck the tube in the tank and - no fuel. Stuck a gallon in and he's running 100%. We have a faulty fuel gauge but the car was only filled up maybe 100 miles ago. I see/smell no leaks. The HIF carb does have a fuel return pipe that is simply dropped down to under the chassis but, again, no sign of that losing any fuel.

There is a locking filler cap so I don't think we've been robbed - maybe the mpg is bad?

I'm perplexed - any body have any ideas/suggestions?

Thanks

Graeme.
1955 Split Screen Saloon with later 1098 engine & type 9 gearbox
a rolling r********
GraemeT

Wales (wl) UK Scotland (.j)

your 1st line probably answers it,

start and trundle round yard,ie choke on, and 1st gear uses a lot of fuel

also hif is a thirsty beast if not set right,

dont think you need to panic, ;)

When its done its done (for now)
Derv Turbo Power (Joosed)
woodywoodchipper

Awards: 7
Contributions 2011 (1) Contributions 2012 (1) Contributions 2013 (1) Contributions 2015 (1) Contributions 2016 (1)
Contributions 2017 (1) Contributions 2018 (1)

United Kingdom (uk) UK Lancashire (lk)

Re: Does a standing Minor lose fuel somehow?

Postby GraemeT » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:33 pm

My wallet was hoping for a miracle cure but I have the feeling that we've just overdone it between fill ups like you say. Currently the speedo undereads the MPH by about 33% so my guessing is the same for the odometer - we were noting down the 'mileage' to try and judge when it was half empty but the wee book has gone for a walk.

The fuel gauge is a gold one on a black dial and I will need to get that looked again when I get the time - I did read up on the shennanigans for that before Christmas but never really got started on it - the lack of headlights took precedence there.

Got to take my hat off to the engine though - soon as there was petrol it fired first time - I was chuffed (but feeling daft that it was just no petrol)

Thanks Graeme
a rolling r********
GraemeT

Postby emjay » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:45 pm

Unlike a gravity fed vehicle that needs a shut off, it would take a heap of evaporating to empty the tank. Also there needs to be enough pressure increase of the vapor to lift the upper valve in the fuel pump in order for the vapor to make it's way to the carb. So if you see no signs of wetness on the tank or along the line once you refill the tank, then the woodywoodchipper comments apply.
emjay

Presume you have excluded the possibility that somebody siphoned it off and nicked it?
Brian

"Jodie". '67 Traveller, 1275, discs, van wheels, vert shocks, arb etc.
BrianHawley

Awards: 2
Contributions 2017 (1) Contributions 2018 (1)

England (en)

Postby GraemeT » Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:30 am

Hi Brian - there is a locking petrol cap on it but you can pick it with a worn key - but we live in the ar*e end of nowhere so I don't think it has been pinched - I just think now that we're spoiled by the mpg we get out of the modern cars here. What driving we do is on rural roads with a lot of hills - I think I'll be buying a small petrol can to carry until we get the gauge fixed (it's ten miles to the nearest petrol station).

Graeme
a rolling r********
GraemeT

Return to Ignition, Carburetion & Fuel