Non starter

Standard & electronic conversions

Non starter

Postby Alchemist » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:38 pm

Hi Chaps, This will be a simple one for you experienced guys but I don't know how to go about fault finding for this one despite having an idea what the cause maybe. I have just through necessity changed my heater hoses on my 948 Morris saloon, a pig of a job necessitating taking out the glove box liner on the driver's side. Having successfully completed the job I ran up the engine to check for leaks etc. however after shutting down I tried to restart and nothing! not a sound! When I pull the starter knob, all the electrics go off, i.e. interior light and fuel gauge drops back to "E" . My initial thought was a loose battery lead as I have had a similar experience before, and whilst doing the job had disconnected the battery... but these seem firm. The car does start on the starting handle which suggests that the fault may lie with the solenoid I have tried bypassing this (as suggested in the Haynes manual) by touching the battery lead with the starter lead but nothing ,(well a small spark when they touched) Any ideas? I don't want to buy a new solenoid if it turns out to be something simple. Thanks in advance. :?:
"In twenty years from now it will be the things that you didn't do that you will regret the most" Mark Twain.
Alchemist

England (en) UK Kent (.i)

Re: Non starter

Postby emjay » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:59 pm

Take the battery connections off and clean them before replacing.
emjay

Postby Alchemist » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:38 pm

~OK cleaned and re tightened all connections between battery and starter motor.... have just remembered that I still have a dynamo and so am trying a long shot of charging the battery as I remember when a child this was a weekly chore on my first car that was a similar age...... fingers crossed
"In twenty years from now it will be the things that you didn't do that you will regret the most" Mark Twain.
Alchemist

Postby Alchemist » Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:53 pm

SORTED!!! I can not believe that it was something so simple as a partially discharged battery! Normally you get a very tired and lethargic whir whir from the starter but I went from Engine starting as normal one minute and then nothing at all.. not even click click of the solenoid the next... two hours on the charger and the little beast roars into life! One thinks that perhaps the battery is getting past it's best, though I would think that the dynamo may not be helping.....
Alchemist

Postby emjay » Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:20 pm

see the next one.
emjay

Postby emjay » Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:20 pm

Good thing you can crank it. Batteries do not seem to fail the same as before. With small holding charge or a slow leak, a crank allows you to defer a battery purchase for some time. However, it more common now for batteries to lose a cell and 10+volts is seldom enough to fire the ignition or the fuel pump. Also keep the revs up since it won't idle either with a dynamo. The fuel gauge (the non-voltage regulator kind) can be used as a voltmeter to warn you to get the revs back up.
emjay

Postby Alchemist » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:02 pm

Thanks Emjay, Indeed it looks like it may soon be battery buying time as I am regularly having to put it on the charger if I haven't used the car for a bit (one week). The battery is an unknown quantity age wise as it came with the car. My quandary is do I wait util next season now as I doubt if Morris will be used much throughout the winter, and so the battery will be neglected a bit for a few months, or do I bite the bullet and buy now saving the wrenched arm from hand cranking now and again.... Now would also seem a good time to change polarity to negative earth, that way I could potentially use accessories if need be, i.e. sat nav etc
Alchemist

Postby ruairidh » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:14 pm

You could invest in a battery charger that keeps the battery constantly charged.
I have one that charges and discharges.
Be all you can be
ruairidh

Awards: 2
Contributions 2012 (1) Contributions 2013 (1)

Scotland (sf) UK Northern Ireland (ek)

Postby GraemeT » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:34 pm

ruairidh wrote:You could invest in a battery charger that keeps the battery constantly charged.
I have one that charges and discharges.

We have a couple of Optimate chargers that do this - one for the cars and the other is hard wired into a caravan with no original zig unit. If you get a powercut (which we often do) they just reset and keep on doing what they do, ideal for the Winter.
1955 Split Screen Saloon with later 1098 engine & type 9 gearbox
a rolling r********
GraemeT

Wales (wl) UK Scotland (.j)

Postby The vast minority » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:20 am

Buy one, it shouldn't be a painful decision, if you are having battery problems replace it.
Al
The vast minority

Awards: 4
Contributions 2014 (1) Contributions 2015 (1) Contributions 2016 (1) Contributions 2017 (1)

United Kingdom (uk)

Postby Rick1963 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:03 am

Also with a marker pen,write the date on the battery. If you lose the receipt you will know when you bought it.
Rick1963

Great Britain (GB)

Return to Ignition, Carburetion & Fuel